A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 Headlight Info

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2022, 07:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
not sure what is confusing - that is exactly what Matrix design lights are, which is what I wrote above
Your first post says they are not matrix design not matrix then your next post says you would have to have someone here enable them.

To me your first post says the hardware isnt there and thus not matrix hardware. Your second post would seem to imply the opposite- just need the software/setting enabled.

My understanding was that the hardware is there it just is not enabled....
The following 2 users liked this post by Nickc50310:
A8bil (05-22-2022), TheBob_1 (05-30-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 12:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 139 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickc50310
Your first post says they are not matrix design not matrix then your next post says you would have to have someone here enable them.

To me your first post says the hardware isnt there and thus not matrix hardware. Your second post would seem to imply the opposite- just need the software/setting enabled.

I read it the same...but just be sure what you're looking at is the disabled-matrix design. I think there are photos on a thread showing the differences.
Old 05-22-2022, 12:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I guess for clarity here is what I'm asking....

What reason is there to look for the upgraded exterior light package?

If the government approves the matrix lighting will Audi put out a software update to enable it on the 2019 A8 or is the hardware not there for that to work?
Old 05-22-2022, 03:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 717 Likes on 506 Posts

I guess for clarity here is what I'm asking....

What reason is there to look for the upgraded exterior light package?

If the government approves the matrix lighting will Audi put out a software update to enable it on the 2019 A8 or is the hardware not there for that to work?
I have the upgraded “matrix design” units on my 2019 D5. I can’t be 100% sure, but my immediate impression was my car’s headlights were somewhat brighter than the standard LED lights on a loaner 2021 A8 I had for a week. Again, just my impression. Having said that, the standard LEDs on the loaner were fine, and more than adequate.

With regard to converting the “matrix design” headlights to fully functioning matrix units, as I’ve posted here before, it can be done via a software upgrade, BUT it’s not yet clear that the existing Audi lighting hardware will actually comply with the strict NHTSA anti-glare standards that were adopted in the newly approved U.S. regulations. In the initial testing done several years ago, the Audi units that were used in the government’s evaluation tests didn’t fully meet that anti-glare criteria as I recall. Is this something that can be corrected through a software adjustment? I don’t know. This is what Audi is evaluating right now. Consider that the 2023 A8/S8 order guide still shows the headlights as “matrix design.” This leads me to think that Audi still isn’t sure that even their newly designed 2022/2023 matrix headlights meet the NHTSA standards. At this point, dealers have not received a TSB on this subject. I guess I’d advise: stay tuned, but don’t hold your breath.

Last edited by derfA8L; 05-22-2022 at 03:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MorganMay (05-22-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by derfA8L
I have the upgraded “matrix design” units on my 2019 D5. I can’t be 100% sure, but my immediate impression was my car’s headlights were somewhat brighter than the standard LED lights on a loaner 2021 A8 I had for a week. Again, just my impression. Having said that, the standard LEDs on the loaner were fine, and more than adequate.

With regard to converting the “matrix design” headlights to fully functioning matrix units, as I’ve posted here before, it can be done via a software upgrade, BUT it’s not yet clear that the existing Audi lighting hardware will actually comply with the strict NHTSA anti-glare standards that were adopted in the newly approved U.S. regulations. In the initial testing done several years ago, the Audi units that were used in the government’s evaluation tests didn’t fully meet that anti-glare criteria as I recall. Is this something that can be corrected through a software adjustment? I don’t know. This is what Audi is evaluating right now. Consider that the 2023 A8/S8 order guide still shows the headlights as “matrix design.” This leads me to think that Audi still isn’t sure that even their newly designed 2022/2023 matrix headlights meet the NHTSA standards. At this point, dealers have not received a TSB on this subject. I guess I’d advise: stay tuned, but don’t hold your breath.

Solid! Thanks! Thats what I wanted to know!

Old 05-22-2022, 06:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

matrix design - has animation, does not have matrix functions enabled. Was an option in the US.

matrix - has animation, has matrix functions enabled by audi. Not offered in the US from audi.

This, matrix design is not the same as actual matrix headlights. That’s why they call it design. It’s a matrix styled headlight, with animation, but without the actual matrix functions.

to make #1 #2, involves software changes that won’t be done by audi USA, likely ever. So you’re on your own there.

Last edited by SCarGuy; 05-22-2022 at 06:47 AM.
Old 05-22-2022, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

matrix design - has animation, does not have matrix functions enabled. Was an option in the US.

matrix - has animation, has matrix functions enabled by audi. Not offered in the US from audi.

This, matrix design is not the same as actual matrix headlights. That’s why they call it design. It’s a matrix styled headlight, with animation, but without the actual matrix functions.

to make #1 #2, involves software changes that won’t be done by audi USA, likely ever. So you’re on your own there.
That makes sense. Thanks!
Old 05-22-2022, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That makes sense. Thanks!

Old 05-22-2022, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

software changes that won’t be done by audi USA, likely ever. .
What is the source for this statement?
Old 05-23-2022, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Prbsco
What is the source for this statement?
The source is that Audi has been offering these headlights for years and they have done nothing in the US to get them approved by NHTSB, just like their laser lights offered on Bentleys. Inaction is a more powerful statement than any press release. When I worked at Audi, one of the main points they make in training is that their cars are built to be sold in any market which we all know is blatantly false. I'm not dumping on Audi, just making a point.

Quick Reply: 2019 Headlight Info