A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Angrypengu's review of the D5 A8.

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 850 Likes on 606 Posts

Final thoughts after spending an hour with the Advanced system

Advanced 3D system:

1) Does not rattle.
2) More intense polarization between left/right due to pop out speakers. It's more evenly "spaced" with the Premium 3D system, but you get intense polarization between left/right tweeter
3) All the speakers behind the front seats do not improved 3D sound'ness for the front.
Old 11-15-2018, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

One last thing, with the Luxury Package in Canada, one gets the sport seats and the extended leather surfaces.

If one does not buy said package, the dashboard and door sills are not in "proper leather". That is known as per the dealer order guide if you read into the details.

What is not known is that the center armrest also is not full leather.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey penguin, one thing I may have overlooked, how many people do you plan to have in the car on average?
Old 11-16-2018, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by teksurv
Hey penguin, one thing I may have overlooked, how many people do you plan to have in the car on average?
I'm sorry, I don't understand? Do you mean how many people will typically be in the car?

1 (me)!

PS - GREAT to see you on here Hope you stay!!
Old 11-16-2018, 02:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Glad to be here. Yeah I was wondering if passengers were a factor in your decision making process. One thing I wanted to add, with this class of car, I would want leather on all surfaces, and the most supple leather for the seats. If you are splurging, well splurge
Old 11-16-2018, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by teksurv
Glad to be here. Yeah I was wondering if passengers were a factor in your decision making process. One thing I wanted to add, with this class of car, I would want leather on all surfaces, and the most supple leather for the seats. If you are splurging, well splurge
Yup I'm buying the luxury package which will have the full and best leather all over the A8. Join the dark side 😂
Old 11-16-2018, 02:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm sure you'll love it and we are looking forward to your expanded review on both forums.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Oh, as a prior owner and a fan, it's fun to see where Audi (and BMW) are going. Living in SoCal I really prefer RWD, that's not really Audi's focus, so when I change my mind, we'll see.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

angrypengu, amazing job on the review. Thanks for taking the time to put this out there.

What is the laser system you are talking about in one of your post?

Old 11-18-2018, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by clintonm9
angrypengu, amazing job on the review. Thanks for taking the time to put this out there.

What is the laser system you are talking about in one of your post?
The laser scanner operates on 905nm and is used for Intersection Assist and long distance Active Cruise Control. It is the black box at the bottom of the grill. This scanner causes laser jammers (for you speeders out there) to false Poliscan (which is a LIDAR gun used oversees). If this scanner is covered for duct tape for some reason (lol), the ACC will still operate, but it'll display an error message. So if you happen to want to run a laser jammer, then, well, don't buy the driver's assistance package. There is no way, that I found, to turn it off either.

Quick Reply: Angrypengu's review of the D5 A8.