A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Angrypengu's review of the D5 A8.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric (Plug Guy)
For those of you who have spent some time in the new 19, can you expand on your thoughts of the ****-less interior center controls? My wife and I have had two A8L models ('06 new, and '12 new) and really love the cars. Sure, they've both had annoyances that were usually resolved (posted on this board long ago), but for the same reasons mentioned (top quality, under the radar, feature rich ride), we like the A8L. The only negative we found was the distraction of having to look down at the flat glass panels to make any adjustments. It was alarming that you have to take your eyes off the road so much to change temp, or make other adjustments.

We're assuming as time goes on drivers will have better feel for where things are and how to adjust, but we were really turned off by this one redesign and think the Germans made a big mistake here. There is minimal or no tactile feel. Sales rep said we could use voice command so we trained it and did - but it too was not great. Made a lot of errors even with clear voice.

Curious to know for those who had earlier models what you've felt while driving for say, 30-60 minutes or longer, and having to use this new ****-less interior. Thanks.
After a few weeks of ownership, the screens are not that cumbersome to use. Radio controls are very simple to use, I might just wish that the "list" is always available to scroll through as my Volvo does this. For the bottom screen, I do not touch the climate control too much, so it's a non-issue. I do keep the "shortcuts" menu open at all times, and this is my favorite feature. I have my navigation set up to "work" and "home" so it is just one click and I am off to my most used destinations. Of course after that I have all of my radio presets in the shortcuts menu. Very cool.

For the massage seats, i prefer to use the button on the seat. There are some redundant buttons which is great.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 850 Likes on 606 Posts

Originally Posted by Solo118
After a few weeks of ownership, the screens are not that cumbersome to use. Radio controls are very simple to use, I might just wish that the "list" is always available to scroll through as my Volvo does this. For the bottom screen, I do not touch the climate control too much, so it's a non-issue. I do keep the "shortcuts" menu open at all times, and this is my favorite feature. I have my navigation set up to "work" and "home" so it is just one click and I am off to my most used destinations. Of course after that I have all of my radio presets in the shortcuts menu. Very cool.

For the massage seats, i prefer to use the button on the seat. There are some redundant buttons which is great.
Any reliability issues yet for you? What's your mileage at now
Old 11-22-2018, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Will share my final thoughts later, but this is worth mentioning.

After spending 2 whole days, I cannot find the dipstick or where the dipstick would be if there was one.

It's impossible to locate.
Actually, doesnt have one.
you use the mmi to get to the oil level.
the D4 doesnt ahve it as well i purchased the dipstick just to verify with the computer oil level.
its on point.
Old 11-22-2018, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by bravo659
Actually, doesnt have one.
you use the mmi to get to the oil level.
the D4 doesnt ahve it as well i purchased the dipstick just to verify with the computer oil level.
its on point.
No dipstick, but there is a dipstick hole. It's the really small black one
Old 11-22-2018, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

red circle is where my dipstick goes into but its only a black tab not a dipstick covering the port.
Old 12-12-2018, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any reliability issues yet for you? What's your mileage at now
Zero issues. At about 1400 miles now.
Old 03-05-2020, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Over the past few weeks, I have begrudgingly had to drive to work (stupid protests on railroads). Anyways, for me, it's a big deal because we're talking about 1-1.5 hours each way.

Today though, marked my last day driving as the trains are returning to service. And today, is almost my 11 month mark of owning my D5. But most importantly, today, my commute was 2 hours each way, so yes, today, I sat in my D5 for 4 hours just getting to/from work.

Enough has been said about this car, but I had so many moments today. I was calm on the road. I was busy having a massage while listening to the B&O system. Big bumps and potholes were absorbed with ease, and here's the thing. I got to the destination and didn't want to get out of the car.

The D5 is a remarkable piece of engineering, and though my car is almost a year old now, still manages to delight me.

I also, for the first time in my life, saw another D5 in my neck of the woods!! It was actually parked 3 levels above me at my parking lot at work, so I after I parked, I ran to that D5, and took a picture, because I'm a dork. I also saw a bunch of 2019 A6/7s today and they all looked TINY compared to the D5

Didn't have the B&O Advanced 3D stereo system though

Last edited by angrypengu; 03-05-2020 at 04:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MorganMay (03-06-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 717 Likes on 506 Posts

But it does have the Exterior Sport Styling bumpers!! 👍
angrypengu (03-06-2020)
Old 03-09-2020, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Over the past few weeks, I have begrudgingly had to drive to work (stupid protests on railroads). Anyways, for me, it's a big deal because we're talking about 1-1.5 hours each way.

Today though, marked my last day driving as the trains are returning to service. And today, is almost my 11 month mark of owning my D5. But most importantly, today, my commute was 2 hours each way, so yes, today, I sat in my D5 for 4 hours just getting to/from work.

Enough has been said about this car, but I had so many moments today. I was calm on the road. I was busy having a massage while listening to the B&O system. Big bumps and potholes were absorbed with ease, and here's the thing. I got to the destination and didn't want to get out of the car.

The D5 is a remarkable piece of engineering, and though my car is almost a year old now, still manages to delight me.

I also, for the first time in my life, saw another D5 in my neck of the woods!! It was actually parked 3 levels above me at my parking lot at work, so I after I parked, I ran to that D5, and took a picture, because I'm a dork. I also saw a bunch of 2019 A6/7s today and they all looked TINY compared to the D5

At least you know the kind of you have that made you drive to work back home and wanted to continue driving. Isn't that amazing.
Glad you enjoyed your commute home.
Enjoy your car brother.
Worth every penny.
angrypengu (03-09-2020)
Old 05-02-2020, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

My gosh, a global pandemic and an insane work period caused me to miss my one year anniversary of my car. I just literally realized that.

I guess, a quick summary on my end is called for. A year is a long time and to me for the world I live in with my day job, it feels even longer than 365 days. A very long story short - the novelty of the D5 is slowly fading. In fact, it's a strange feeling for me in the sense that the emotional side of 'loving' a car is still there, but it wasn't like the first day drives, of course.

As many of you (sadly) know, I spent a lot of cycles figuring out what flagship was going to be 'the one' for me, and I can safely say the D5 has been the best vehicle purchase of my life thus far. It has exceeded expectations in every single way, and still continues to impress. As mentioned, a year is a long time, though, still, when I see some bad irregularities in the road ahead, I'm still floored at how well the car just makes it disappear.

Perhaps most surprising to me is the exclusivity of the D5. Outside of a parking lot, I have never seen another one on the road. At the dealership, folks are tremendously nice. Most people ignore the car, but for those that know what it is, the head turning is a bit, well, uncomfortable for me, but I guess some people enjoy it.

The D5 is not just a car, it's a lifestyle, and I concede it's not for everyone, but for me - it certainly has been worth every penny.

Quick Reply: Angrypengu's review of the D5 A8.