A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone still in the market for the D5??

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2024, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 844 Likes on 603 Posts

I have been debating getting a present gen LS b/c of the demise of ICE cars. Basically, I have absolutely 0 desire to drive a dishwasher (EVs).

Colour me surprised when I read this one LS owner has gone through not 1, but *two* blown engines. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...own-motor.html

Yeah I think I'll continue avoiding the 5LS. I'm shocked at how poorly Lexus executed this vehicle and the constant reliability issues found on ClubLexus for the present gen LS is proof of that.

It's not just Lexus. This is taken from the W223 forum (present gen S class). I was railing on the present gen S when it first came out but the diehards on there kept on being stupid fanboys. It's nice to see them coming around many years later
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w...want-know.html

I'll take our slow forum any day

Last edited by angrypengu; 01-01-2024 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-01-2024, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
I have been debating getting a present gen LS b/c of the demise of ICE cars. Basically, I have absolutely 0 desire to drive a dishwasher (EVs).

Colour me surprised when I read this one LS owner has gone through not 1, but *two* blown engines. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...own-motor.html

Lexus is not producing the quality of vehicles that they were once known for. Honestly, Japan has not been relevant to the auto industry since the 1990s.
The following 2 users liked this post by subterFUSE:
angrypengu (01-01-2024), DallasDave (02-01-2024)
Old 01-01-2024, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
There's a lot of lurkers though as response times are generally fast. We're just sort of out of things to talk about.
Guilty as charged. I have a A6 Allroad. My sister test drove a 2021 A8 4.0 and I went with her. I was blown away. I didn't think it was possible for a car to ride better than the Allroad but the A8 was better--and IMHO significantly. That v8 was smooth as silk too.

The ride was so good I'm considering making the switch. I don't need a wagon as much as I thought I would. However, I'd like to get the S8. Can anyone attest to the ride quality of the S8? Is it harsher than the A8? What about seat comfort. The A8 seats were very plush. The pictures of the S8 seats seem like they would be less so.

Last edited by Ganjulama; 01-01-2024 at 07:10 AM.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (01-01-2024)
Old 01-01-2024, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

when in comfort mode, the ride is excellent. Comfy yet composed, 90 mph on the highway is like butter super quiet and smooth. Want to carve corners? put it in Dynamic mode. Or use individual setting and adjust each parameter to your liking. I take Balanced all the way down the line until exhaust note I pick Present.

I think the seats are the same in S8 as in the A8l if we're talking about the 22-way massage seats, optional in A8l standard in S8.

Pull the trigger the 23/24 model is awesome I think it rides so much better in city/suburban town driving, much more planted than my 2020 S8 especially over potholes, feels much lighter doesn't feel like the suspension is going to blow out when one takes you by surprise. I killed 3 front right tires last year over a 6-month span, wheels were fine.
The following users liked this post:
mattsrs (01-01-2024)
Old 01-01-2024, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom C
when in comfort mode, the ride is excellent. Comfy yet composed, 90 mph on the highway is like butter super quiet and smooth
Excellent, especially so since it seems you live in NJ, which has some pretty bad local roads

I think the seats are the same in S8 as in the A8l if we're talking about the 22-way massage seats, optional in A8l standard in S8.
And they look better than the standard A8 seats too.

Pull the trigger the 23/24 model is awesome I think it rides so much better in city/suburban town driving, much more planted than my 2020 S8 especially over potholes, feels much lighter doesn't feel like the suspension is going to blow out when one takes you by surprise. I killed 3 front right tires last year over a 6-month span, wheels were fine.
You blew out tires on the 2020 S8?
Old 01-01-2024, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

S8 is very smooth riding. Absolutely no complaints about harshness. If anything, some might argue it’s not tight enough.
Old 01-01-2024, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Seats are the same. The main diff in ride quality between the S and the A8 is 1) the size of the rims and 2) whether or not predictive suspension is added as an option. In Canada, predictive suspension can be added to the A8 55 TFSI, even, but I don't think this is possible in the US.
Old 01-01-2024, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a 23 A8 with 21" wheels and all the packages possible on the A8. I am happy overall with the suspension but sometimes over pot holes (not even too deep, just when there's a sudden change in the pavement), it feels that the suspensions crashes or let go of the weight of the car which is not a luxurious experience for a car like this. I am not sure if it is because the 21"s have very small sidewall or thats how the suspension is setup. In sport mode, it feels a bit better. I have experienced the same issue on my Mercedes EQS SUV with air suspension.
Old 01-01-2024, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

yes blew 3 front tires. I had predictive active suspension and the 21" wheel option which were BBS forged wheels very beefy/heavy. Bubbles in tire sidewall, wheels were always fine no bend, crack or chip, nothing always balanced out fine with new tire.

My new S8 does not have the active suspension option and I think it rides much better, lighter/more planted feeling/steering. The predictive active suspension components must weigh a couple of hundred pounds considering they have actuators and arms connected to the suspension to lift the vehicle. I think that helps and lowers unsprung weight and the new executive package 21" 10 spoke wheels are much less beefy I'm guessing they weigh less also helping with the handling and ride quality.
Old 01-01-2024, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Ganjulama
Guilty as charged. I have a A6 Allroad. My sister test drove a 2021 A8 4.0 and I went with her. I was blown away. I didn't think it was possible for a car to ride better than the Allroad but the A8 was better--and IMHO significantly. That v8 was smooth as silk too.

The ride was so good I'm considering making the switch. I don't need a wagon as much as I thought I would. However, I'd like to get the S8. Can anyone attest to the ride quality of the S8? Is it harsher than the A8? What about seat comfort. The A8 seats were very plush. The pictures of the S8 seats seem like they would be less so.
Actually hang on a second. The A6 Allroad is shortlisted as another vehicle I want to buy as well (not to replace anything as my current cars can't haul anything big). I always thought the A6 allroad + air suspension would ride as well as an A8. You're saying this is a *big* difference? Color me surprised. Is your A6 Allroad fitted with air suspension?

Quick Reply: Anyone still in the market for the D5??