A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bleeding Coolant System After Hose Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2024, 10:29 PM
Anthony-S

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bleeding Coolant System After Hose Replacement

Hello!
I am about to replace the hose that's under the coolant expansion tank on the driver side as it's leaking at the point of connection with the tank. It's a $17 hose and it's pretty accessible. I couldn't find diy-able methods on how to bleed the system after emptying the tank and replacing the hose underneath it. I assume very little air will enter the system as I'm just emptying the tank and the hose that's right underneath it.
Here's the hose part number: 4N0121399S
Does anyone recommend any specific way to bleed the system? Or should I just empty the tank, replace the hose, refill the tank with coolant, run the AC on high heat with an attached funnel on the tank and let it "burp"?
Old 02-26-2024, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 363 Likes on 265 Posts

Hopefully someone will post something that is D5 specific. In the meantime, here is a link to the same topic in the D4 forum. Since there are so many similarities, I thought this might help. You want to bleed the system from the highest point.
Old 02-26-2024, 01:48 PM
Anthony-S

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
Hopefully someone will post something that is D5 specific. In the meantime, here is a link to the same topic in the D4 forum. Since there are so many similarities, I thought this might help. You want to bleed the system from the highest point.
Thank you!
Honestly, that sounds way too complicated compared to the other proven methods out there. There are two methods that I've seen work on mostly all cars, one is that funnel that attaches to the coolant tank and as the car "burps", coolant gets in. One other using this tool from Schwaben that puts the system in vacuum, then you release a valve and it sucks coolant from a big container.

In my case, I'm only emptying the coolant tank and one short hose underneath it. I'm tempted to even just replace the hose, refill it manually with coolant, attach it to the coolant tank, then fill it. I can keep an eye out on it for a few days and adjust accordingly. I think it would work..
Old 02-26-2024, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 363 Likes on 265 Posts

Yep, I have seen the tools to perform the bleeding process too. My heat wasn't working and the circulation pump had failed. Once I replaced the pump (DIY) I had to bleed the system. Since the cowl cover was already out of the way, it was an easy last step for me at the time.

I'd bet you are going to be just fine doing what you outlined.

Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Anthony Sarrouf (02-26-2024)