A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Four things the new A8 won’t get in the U.S.—At least not right away

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 789 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by clintonm9
Does anyone know when they will enable the LED matric lighting in the US?

Also, I bought my car with the active suspension. Is there a way to know for sure if it is on and working?
It's possible to buy this car with the active suspension?! It's referenced in the manual but I didn't think it was in the order guide yet.

As far as the first question, no one knows. We were told "soon", but that was like 6 months ago.
Old 01-03-2019, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Does anyone know when they will enable the LED matric lighting in the US?

Also, I bought my car with the active suspension. Is there a way to know for sure if it is on and working?
Matrix headlight implementation will occur when the relevant North American government agencies codify new regulations that will allow Audi to enable the matrix functionality. The US mandatory public comment window has closed. There is, however, a potential glitch that could affect implementation in the US—NHTSA might not approve the Audi matrix technology as presently designed, and could require Audi to change some of its current matrix specs. Still an open issue at this point, with no timing announced yet.

Your D5 already comes equipped with the active air suspension —AAS— which is a four corner electronic control platform (ECP) that analyzes the road and vehicle conditions every 1 to 25 milliseconds to adjust suspension components to adjust ride comfort and cornering dynamics. The system monitors vehicle ride height, roll and pitch movement, available traction of the road surface and the current state of the car’s driving dynamics. This is a standard feature of the new D5 and works in the background with no driver control of the system. If no fault warning appears on the VC display, then it’s working as designed. This is NOT the optional Predictive active suspension—now called the AI ACTIVE SUSPENSION with Predictive active body control—which adds a sophisticated electromechanical adaptation control feature that reads and senses oncoming road imperfections to instantaneously raise and cushion the car’s ride characteristics to off-set most harsh roadway conditions (potholes, divits, speed bumps, etc.). This is still a delayed availability feature, and no pricing released on this yet.

Last edited by derfA8L; 01-03-2019 at 05:15 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you for the info. I thought I had that feature, but I do not. Very sad now
Old 01-04-2019, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank you for the info. I thought I had that feature, but I do not. Very sad now
Nah, no need to be disappointed. After my D5 test drive, I can confirm that the new active air suspension significantly improves the driving/ride comfort characteristics compared with the previous generation D4--And I think my D4's ride comfort is pretty darn good already, so the D5 is a vast improvement in this regard. Depending on what they want to charge for the AI Predictive version, I'm not sure it would be worth it anyway since the system likely has limitations on dark roads after sunset. Just my opinion at this early juncture.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

What is shocking to me is that the HD Matrix Design LED lights' high beam mode is still not approved in US/Canada.

We're now in 2019. I wonder if they will ever ever be approved or if I should just release to the factory my build without that exterior lighting option
Old 01-05-2019, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Edit, maybe this will be approved soon. Fingers crossed. Submission deadline was in Dec 2018

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/n...ghts-proposal/
Old 01-05-2019, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Edit, maybe this will be approved soon. Fingers crossed. Submission deadline was in Dec 2018

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/n...ghts-proposal/
Unfortunately, this is kind of old news. My understanding is that while NHTSA has given its approval regarding the concept of allowing the matrix technology, they now plan on establishing US-specific matrix safety standards—and building a testing facility/protocol to gauge the effectiveness of the newly established standards—which may differ from what has previously been approved in Europe and what Audi has already developed and is currently installing on their vehicles. If different, can Audi remedy through a software adjustment, or would it require a completely different production design? After this has been worked out Audi would then have to go through a testing sequence for its US matrix certification. Perhaps we’re looking at late 2019, at the earliest (?). Hope I’m being overly pessimistic here. At any rate, I’d still order the Lighting package with the currently neutered matrix units—and hope for the best.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by derfA8L

Unfortunately, this is kind of old news. My understanding is that while NHTSA has given its approval regarding the concept of allowing the matrix technology, they now plan on establishing US-specific matrix safety standards—and building a testing facility/protocol to gauge the effectiveness of the newly established standards—which may differ from what has previously been approved in Europe and what Audi has already developed and is currently installing on their vehicles. If different, can Audi remedy through a software adjustment, or would it require a completely different production design? After this has been worked out Audi would then have to go through a testing sequence for its US matrix certification. Perhaps we’re looking at late 2019, at the earliest (?). Hope I’m being overly pessimistic here. At any rate, I’d still order the Lighting package with the currently neutered matrix units—and hope for the best.
Thank you for this insight. Are you, or is anyone here, aware of any way to turn on this function using VCDS/OBDEleven?
Old 01-05-2019, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Thank you for this insight. Are you, or is anyone here, aware of any way to turn on this function using VCDS/OBDEleven?
I don’t know for a fact, but I’d be surprised if the matrix function could be enabled without a direct connection to Audi’s tech system. Doubtful they would have been able to import cars with these units in North America if anyone could turn on this feature with market available consumer products. With the AW Q8 posts re: VCDS and OBD-Eleven, I haven’t seen where anyone has attempted/accomplished enabling their headlights’ matrix functionality.