A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How will economy impact A8 sales?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They did clear them out. Audi Central said they sold 1-2 per month normally. With the greatly reduced prices starting the end of April they sold the seven 2019’s they had remaining in less than three weeks. The 0% financing and favorable leasing options also helped move them quickly.
The following users liked this post:
TXRoar (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
The flaw in your strategy is that there won't be any 2019s left by December. The incentive for Audi is to get rid of all the leftover V6s 2019 that carried into 2020
Maybe so, my lease ends in December so I have no choice. I have about 45 2019s with the options I want bookmarked on Cargurus so hopefully that will give me some cushion.

Last edited by Minh Do; 05-16-2020 at 11:54 AM.
Old 05-16-2020, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Minh Do
Maybe so, my lease ends in December so I have no choice. I have about 45 2019s with the options I want bookmarked on Cargurus so hopefully that will give me some cushion.
No dealer is going to let a car (2019) sit on his lot for a year. The carrying costs would kill them. Why not identify a car at a few dealerships, tell them you are ready to buy but you have 6 months of payments left and let them figure out a way to minimize you costs and get you into a new car.

As a professional negotiator for 35 years I would always make it the other guys problem and force him to come up with a creative solution and "thrill me" rather than me figure it out. They have all kinds of hidden incentives, contributions, margins or even begging Audi regional to find creative ways to solve your problem
The following 4 users liked this post by Omeletpants:
angrypengu (05-16-2020), doctorharrison (05-17-2020), Ed95 (05-18-2020), nashdm2 (05-17-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

No dealer is going to let a car (2019) sit on his lot for a year. The carrying costs would kill them. Why not identify a car and at few dealerships, tell them you are ready to buy but you have 6 months of payments left and let them figure out a way to minimize you costs and get you into a new car.

As a professional negotiator for 35 years I would always make it the other guys problem and force him to come up with a creative solution and "thrill me" rather than me figure it out. They have all kinds of hidden incentives, contributions, margins or even begging Audi regional to find creative ways to solve your problem
once the car is on the lot for 10 months or so there really are no carrying costs beyond insurance. It’s already been paid for. Cars can be on a lot for longer than that - happens all the time

there are no hidden incentives or margins or anything else right now. There are no monthly “bonuses” or quarterly sales goals. Nada
Old 05-16-2020, 02:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

No dealer is going to let a car (2019) sit on his lot for a year. The carrying costs would kill them. Why not identify a car at a few dealerships, tell them you are ready to buy but you have 6 months of payments left and let them figure out a way to minimize you costs and get you into a new car.

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/se...ting=223507950

I can show you 10 more examples. This particular one is 500+ days and I just got a quote from them for 26% off which is pitiful.
Old 05-16-2020, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/new/se...ting=223507950

I can show you 10 more examples. This particular one is 500+ days and I just got a quote from them for 26% off which is pitiful.
26% is pitiful?

do you discount your goods and services by 26% routinely?

There is a limit a dealer can do, that makes sense. They don’t “need” to sell it either. They can simply make it a loaner. Many seek to think there is a point of desperation on a new car, and I can assure you, that’s not the case when it boils down to it (A8 or anything else).

Deals can always be done by 2 realistic parties
The following 2 users liked this post by SCarGuy:
angrypengu (05-16-2020), nashdm2 (05-17-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SCarGuy
26% is pitiful?

do you discount your goods and services by 26% routinely?

There is a limit a dealer can do, that makes sense. They don’t “need” to sell it either. They can simply make it a loaner. Many seek to think there is a point of desperation on a new car, and I can assure you, that’s not the case when it boils down to it (A8 or anything else).

Deals can always be done by 2 realistic parties
You do you, I'll do me. No more talk, will update in December.
Old 05-16-2020, 03:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

You do you, I'll do me. No more talk, will update in December.
What a ****ty attitude, when people are trying to help you.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (05-16-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 03:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 65 Likes on 63 Posts

Went to a local dealership in Houston and sat in a 90k 2019 A8 on the showroom. Got an offer for 30% off MSRP 10 mins later without negotiating. Showed the quote to a dealership in Palo Alto and got 32% off.
Not many people do this style of buying in the UK anymore. The dealers won't give you anything written to just move onto another dealer with that quote. They also won't give you their best price unless you are going to buy at that stage. All the dealers are wise to it.

What most people do, is carry out extensive research on what you think you can get a car for. Many UK online brokers will help with that research.

Armed with all of that, I then go down to the dealer of my choice and talk to a sales person. No advanced phone calls, just appear at the dealer.

Then, I sit down with a pen in one hand and a credit card in another. I tell what I want and what I want to pay for it. I also tell them they will 100% get a signature and a deposit if they beat that price. The sales people love it. You are an unexpected sale to be had and they know exactly what they need to do to get that sale. No phone calls, no constant battle over price, straight talking and you were not even on their prospect list.. It has never failed.
Old 05-17-2020, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

"I don't think the present situation will impact many A8 buyers. At this income level and given how low the #s were anyways for vehicles in this class on an annual sales perspective, I don't imagine much impact"

I'm sorry, but I could not disagree more. I think MANY would-be A8 buyers are impacted by the COVID economy and I think luxury brands will be crushed just like everyone else. Given the level of uncertainty right now, With a few exceptions on the margins, I just don't see people running out to pluck down $85 to $100k on an automobile right now. Corporate execs are taking pay cuts; doctors in private practice are making less; lawyers are making less; bonuses/partner distributions/stock awards will be cut or deferred; highly compensated sales professionals who eat what they kill are making significantly less. I could go on. Suffice to say there will be deep discounting for the remainder of the year for sure - especially near year end.

Quick Reply: How will economy impact A8 sales?