A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How will economy impact A8 sales?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2020, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 818 Likes on 588 Posts

Originally Posted by Puzz1
"I don't think the present situation will impact many A8 buyers. At this income level and given how low the #s were anyways for vehicles in this class on an annual sales perspective, I don't imagine much impact"

I'm sorry, but I could not disagree more. I think MANY would-be A8 buyers are impacted by the COVID economy and I think luxury brands will be crushed just like everyone else. Given the level of uncertainty right now, With a few exceptions on the margins, I just don't see people running out to pluck down $85 to $100k on an automobile right now. Corporate execs are taking pay cuts; doctors in private practice are making less; lawyers are making less; bonuses/partner distributions/stock awards will be cut or deferred; highly compensated sales professionals who eat what they kill are making significantly less. I could go on. Suffice to say there will be deep discounting for the remainder of the year for sure - especially near year end.
No need to apologize. My statement is not based on gut feel but pure 'facts' based on studies such as the below. There was a very 'good' study with good visuals done that I am struggling to find. IIRC those who made >$150K/year had <5% "decrease" wrt hours worked or income changes. (I believe this study was in Canada).

https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/...-on-us-workers

That is the basis for my belief, but that's all it is, an educated belief based on article after article saying the same thing. Once in the six figure income range, the effect is a lot less pronounced, if any, than those at the other end of the spectrum. It also makes sense to me. White collar workers can work remotely and continue getting paid what they/we are paid, while those in the food service industry, construction industry, etc, are more likely to be affected, and substantially at that.

I have not seen any studies wrt discretionary budget choice changes for those in the top 5% of income or to see how behaviour has changed but just wanted to share my belief based on the studies similar to the one above.

I could very well be wrong.

Edited to add: I can't find the article to save my life. I tried, sorry.

Last edited by angrypengu; 05-17-2020 at 05:32 PM.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

Yep, good points for sure. If you're on a salary and can work from home you aren't impacted the same way as someone in retail, food and beverage, hourly, etc. I totally get that. The main point I was trying to make is that even in the upper income group (top 10 percent income bracket in the USA is anything over approx. $120k) people are proceeding with caution.
Old 05-18-2020, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Puzz1
Yep, good points for sure. If you're on a salary and can work from home you aren't impacted the same way as someone in retail, food and beverage, hourly, etc. I totally get that. The main point I was trying to make is that even in the upper income group (top 10 percent income bracket in the USA is anything over approx. $120k) people are proceeding with caution.
Your constructive dissension versus my opinion had me really really interested to what the target market is for the D5. I was trying to figure out the demographic that Audi specifically targets with the D5 and only came across a post from someone on here in the D3 (or D2?) board alleging the median income of the D5 buyer is $300K.

While this may be in fact the case, I wanted to read what Audi specifically targets themselves, and was surprised to find, on slide 10/50 in the attached, HH median income of all Audi customers are $193K (back in 2013!) and are substantially higher than those of BMW/Audi. So if that's the case for HH income of all Audi customers, then perhaps there is some truth to the $300K number.

Nothing based on scientific studies of course, but as a result, I think it lends a bit more credence to my opinion that perhaps the D5 won't be as affected because of this pandemic. I can absolutely see why someone making $120K who may have wanted to splurge for a D5 may hold off, but someone making >$300K would probably not be affected (or at least, as much).

Anyway, just a guessing game (and an exercise in critical thinking which is always fun!)

Edited to add: That last slide.... (slide 50).
Attached Files

Last edited by angrypengu; 05-18-2020 at 04:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MorganMay (05-18-2020)
Old 05-23-2020, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I was looking at one A8L dropped to $72K CAD and sold Two others with backseat kit SOLD!. So that is 3. There is one for sale in North Vanc for $88K CAD. Oh man,

Having said that I think we are going to for one of the surplus E-Trons. My wife wants electric so she can stop smelling fumes and charge at home etc. Being a PE EE I have to agree
Old 05-23-2020, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Shark_V8
I was looking at one A8L dropped to $72K CAD and sold Two others with backseat kit SOLD!. So that is 3. There is one for sale in North Vanc for $88K CAD. Oh man,

Having said that I think we are going to for one of the surplus E-Trons. My wife wants electric so she can stop smelling fumes and charge at home etc. Being a PE EE I have to agree
Please keep in mind Audi Canada is giving 20k off of 2019 A8s so dealer margins are still 7 percent in Canada
Old 05-23-2020, 05:08 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Please keep in mind Audi Canada is giving 20k off of 2019 A8s so dealer margins are still 7 percent in Canada
My dealer just sent an offer of $25k USD off an A8L with 0% financing for 66 months!
Granted they only have $94k optioned A8L's, but still sorta makes up for the deprecation losses.
angrypengu (05-23-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

There has always been negotiating room and discounting available for A8s depending on the time of the year. I talked down mine from an MSRP of $102,500 (US) to $81K, before convincing the dealer to throw in Audi Care for 4 years as well as lease return insurance, at no additional cost. That was in September of 2017.
angrypengu (05-24-2020)