A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maybe your D5 will get here as a 2020?--EPA debacles continue

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2018, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 581 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Maybe your D5 will get here as a 2020?--EPA debacles continue

Not exactly what Audi publicizes, but a careful reading of available info (or non-info) suggests Audi/VW/Porsche may have continuing real issues on emissions compliance certification. No certification means of course no car on lot/released from ports of entry.

A more general story on VW: https://www.vwvortex.com/news/volksw...-wltp-testing/ I have seen a few other similar stories in the auto press likewise saying they are way backed up on Euro compliance. Euro compliance got tightened up a lot--including on road/real world testing--when the auto regulators realized how thoroughly the manufacturers had gamed the prior system. If I am VAG (VW+Audi+Porsche+Seat+the minor brands) I would certainly be focused on my home markets first, and also maybe referencing that compliance for non EU markets. As in, likely hurry up and wait in North America?

Add to it, probably not an easy to fill job managerially for running that part of the business. And if I were an underling, no way I would take any risks either. Prior guys variously gone, in the klink, under indictment, or no longer traveling outside Germany to avoid the warrants. Meantime, attached is this week's latest run from U.S. EPA. Obscure document available via web. It continues to show no Audi's have gotten through, and no Porsche's that share platforms (Panny, Cayenne, Macan). VW's just barely starting to trickle through, and those are generally the transverse motor ones only used on small Audis. It sort of jumps right off the page that virtually every other manufacturer you can think of has now run boatloads of models through per the list

Net, don't be expecting those shiny D5's on the dealer floor come Sept 1 or Oct 1 or ... ? Notice the VW story says "strong deliveries in December"--and that's Europe. The old run it right to the end of the quarter and then push em out Hail Mary?

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-01-2018 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Last year about this time my 2018 S8 Plus was held in port for quite a while awaiting CARB certification. I joked at the time that it was because too many VAG engineers were in jail, but seriously, it's probably a difficult environment to attract new employees. What a fall.
Old 09-13-2018, 12:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

On some of my prior points, see reply 5 to this thread on the Q5 board. The thread context is a discussion of new Gen 2 Q5 vs. prior Gen 1. That would be sort of like us debating D5 vs D4, or previously D3 vs. D4. But in Superswiss' reply 5 he also flags the new Euro fuel economy requirements and how Audi is struggling there. Parallels but probably in addition to the info I had picked up about issues w/ newly tightened Euro emissions rules. Both together may also explain the basic "where the $%#$ are the V8's and what's the plan Audi?" And as I mentioned, if they don't even have their act together on their core home market, USA is pretty clearly for later on a relatively minor model like the D class, whether the/a flagship or not.

The Automobile article he attached to that reply is also interesting, but sort of winding in its path to get back to the import to Audi. The summary in his reply 5 may suffice for many.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...rison-2958593/
Old 09-13-2018, 03:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

This solidifies my belief that I made the correct decision when I ordered one of the last D4's to go down the assembly line. Probably the high water mark if the engine is important. Mike
Old 09-14-2018, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 789 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
On some of my prior points, see reply 5 to this thread on the Q5 board. The thread context is a discussion of new Gen 2 Q5 vs. prior Gen 1. That would be sort of like us debating D5 vs D4, or previously D3 vs. D4. But in Superswiss' reply 5 he also flags the new Euro fuel economy requirements and how Audi is struggling there. Parallels but probably in addition to the info I had picked up about issues w/ newly tightened Euro emissions rules. Both together may also explain the basic "where the $%#$ are the V8's and what's the plan Audi?" And as I mentioned, if they don't even have their act together on their core home market, USA is pretty clearly for later on a relatively minor model like the D class, whether the/a flagship or not.

The Automobile article he attached to that reply is also interesting, but sort of winding in its path to get back to the import to Audi. The summary in his reply 5 may suffice for many.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q5-...rison-2958593/
Thanks for sharing. There are some people that do like where Audi is going - with their focus on quieter and quieter cars, and such. Audi is now doing what Lexus used to, and that actually makes me pretty happy.

On a cost cutting standpoint, please keep in mind that Mercedes and BMW are now doing what Porsche/Audi etc are doing - which is cost cutting their current businesses in order to 'invest'/'waste' on future electric technologies, so time to pick the poop that smells the least foul. I don't know what it is, but I can see the cost cutting on the post FL S class, same with the 2016+ 7 series. Time will tell if I feel the same way about the new A8.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sept 21 update

Checked again and the EPA released another run of data and MY 2019 vehicles today (9/21). The list is now 847 lines long of approved specific car configurations. Only one single Audi has now been approved so far, the Q7 with a 3.0T motor. Certainly no sign of the new launch ones on the list like D5 or C8 models. The Beetle and Jetta got through in a few forms for VW, but that's it. Likewise Porsche has its "sports cars" largely through, but none of the front motor ones like SUV's, Panny etc.--the Audi sister and cousin ones basically. You can only tell which ones are cleared, so unknown if many Audi's, VW's and Porsche's are in there and bottlenecked, submitted late, or not submitted or pulled. Given the 847 lines from every Tom Dick and Harry model in the car biz, seems increasingly that they are now way late for the party and/or maybe in some kind of penalty box or other weird scenario.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 09-21-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Not exactly what Audi publicizes, but a careful reading of available info (or non-info) suggests Audi/VW/Porsche may have continuing real issues on emissions compliance certification. No certification means of course no car on lot/released from ports of entry.

A more general story on VW: https://www.vwvortex.com/news/volksw...-wltp-testing/ I have seen a few other similar stories in the auto press likewise saying they are way backed up on Euro compliance. Euro compliance got tightened up a lot--including on road/real world testing--when the auto regulators realized how thoroughly the manufacturers had gamed the prior system. If I am VAG (VW+Audi+Porsche+Seat+the minor brands) I would certainly be focused on my home markets first, and also maybe referencing that compliance for non EU markets. As in, likely hurry up and wait in North America?

Add to it, probably not an easy to fill job managerially for running that part of the business. And if I were an underling, no way I would take any risks either. Prior guys variously gone, in the klink, under indictment, or no longer traveling outside Germany to avoid the warrants. Meantime, attached is this week's latest run from U.S. EPA. Obscure document available via web. It continues to show no Audi's have gotten through, and no Porsche's that share platforms (Panny, Cayenne, Macan). VW's just barely starting to trickle through, and those are generally the transverse motor ones only used on small Audis. It sort of jumps right off the page that virtually every other manufacturer you can think of has now run boatloads of models through per the list

Net, don't be expecting those shiny D5's on the dealer floor come Sept 1 or Oct 1 or ... ? Notice the VW story says "strong deliveries in December"--and that's Europe. The old run it right to the end of the quarter and then push em out Hail Mary?
have you read this?
https://www.wsj.com/articles/volkswagen-expected-to-terminate-audi-ceos-contract-1538122945

Last edited by bravo659; 09-28-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong, isn't the emmission issue only with Diesel engines?
Old 09-29-2018, 03:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 789 Likes on 576 Posts

Originally Posted by okkazo
Correct me if I am wrong, isn't the emmission issue only with Diesel engines?
Once you lie.....
Old 09-29-2018, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Once you lie.....
Exactly!

Quick Reply: Maybe your D5 will get here as a 2020?--EPA debacles continue