A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monsoon Grey vs Terra Grey vs Vesuvius Grey

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2018, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 789 Likes on 576 Posts

Here's a further example of what I'm talking about:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...onsored&page=2
Old 11-21-2018, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by angrypengu
Here's a further example of what I'm talking about:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...onsored&page=2
Looks fine to me, but I’m used to dark colored cars, so my expectations are baked in. If you’re looking for a color, any color, that looks as good in cloudy conditions as it does in sunshine, then you’re on a fruitless journey IMO. Even white dulls out under cloudy skies. I guess gray tones might be more adversely impacted, but no color is unaffected. I think Vesuvius might just be darker than what you generally want since it is very charcoal. IMO Daytona Gray pearl effect is Audi’s best gray, but even that loses much of its “charm” under a cloudy sky.
Old 11-21-2018, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by derfA8L

Looks fine to me, but I’m used to dark colored cars, so my expectations are baked in. If you’re looking for a color, any color, that looks as good in cloudy conditions as it does in sunshine, then you’re on a fruitless journey IMO. Even white dulls out under cloudy skies. I guess gray tones might be more adversely impacted, but no color is unaffected. I think Vesuvius might just be darker than what you generally want since it is very charcoal. IMO Daytona Gray pearl effect is Audi’s best gray, but even that loses much of its “charm” under a cloudy sky.
I am trying to keep perspective as I'm thinking about what color I want on a six figure car :-)

That said, Daytona grey is a $3k option for me, and I'd buy it (sport appearance package) but I don't want 20" rims and I don't want a chrome front splitter. Monsoon gray is a shade too blue and vesuvius gray is a shade too dark. Man....Audi Exclusive isn't released yet and there are no ETAs for the D5.

Oh well. Good to know that you are going into it expecting the same grief as a black car. I didn't know how others are approaching this so good to know. I was thinking it might be easier to deal with than a black car but perhaps that's a stretch.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Oh well. Good to know that you are going into it expecting the same grief as a black car. I didn't know how others are approaching this so good to know. I was thinking it might be easier to deal with than a black car but perhaps that's a stretch.
For me, it really wouldn’t matter what the color is—Dark or light, I’m just way over the top about keeping my car clean virtually all the time. Always feels that much smoother and faster when it’s cleaned up 😏. Having a good ceramic coating applied to the car’s paint really helps a lot in making it easier to clean up.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

For me, it really wouldn’t matter what the color is—Dark or light, I’m just way over the top about keeping my car clean virtually all the time. Always feels that much smoother and faster when it’s cleaned up 😏. Having a good ceramic coating applied to the car’s paint really helps a lot in making it easier to clean up.
I agree. My main issue isn't washing the car by hand, which is what I do all of the time, when possible. I'm accepting the reality of a darker colour vehicle now, but I've never been **** about spray foam, 10 bucket wash method (I'm exagerrating). Again, I'm open to all of this now, but what do you do in the winter? I mean, you're from NY so you face the same issues I do. I refuse to bring it to a regular gas station car wash....spray down at a coin op place and call it a day?

Old 11-21-2018, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are exactly going through what I had been through when I selected my C8 color. The color that I wanted is Porsche Volcano Grey (Google it), it sits in between vesuvius gray and Daytona grey. I initially went with vesuvius gray but changed my mind when I found that it is too dark for me. I was also worried that Daytona is too light but went with it when I saw it in person. Anyways, darker colors (shades of black) look much better on the D5 than the C8. In fact, the A8 looks more luxurious and fancier with darker colors. But bare in mind that vesuvius gray is almost black by any mean and even with light directed to the car it looks like light reflection more than grey.
If you are into a dark color, I believe that vesuvius gray would be a great choice. I wouldn't worry about its maintenance as blakish colors look fabulous on the D series and beauty will definitely outweigh maintenance
Old 11-21-2018, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by okkazo
You are exactly going through what I had been through when I selected my C8 color. The color that I wanted is Porsche Volcano Grey (Google it), it sits in between vesuvius gray and Daytona grey. I initially went with vesuvius gray but changed my mind when I found that it is too dark for me. I was also worried that Daytona is too light but went with it when I saw it in person. Anyways, darker colors (shades of black) look much better on the D5 than the C8. In fact, the A8 looks more luxurious and fancier with darker colors. But bare in mind that vesuvius gray is almost black by any mean and even with light directed to the car it looks like light reflection more than grey.
If you are into a dark color, I believe that vesuvius gray would be a great choice. I wouldn't worry about its maintenance as blakish colors look fabulous on the D series and beauty will definitely outweigh maintenance
I agree with you dark colors look great on the D5. That said, now I'm sitting there going...well then, why not just 100% black?

Once I get some ideas from folks about what you all do in the dead of winter that will be helpful!! I'm now researching how to wash cars in one's garage in the winter....yikes.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I agree. My main issue isn't washing the car by hand, which is what I do all of the time, when possible. I'm accepting the reality of a darker colour vehicle now, but I've never been **** about spray foam, 10 bucket wash method (I'm exagerrating). Again, I'm open to all of this now, but what do you do in the winter? I mean, you're from NY so you face the same issues I do. I refuse to bring it to a regular gas station car wash....spray down at a coin op place and call it a day?
In cold weather: Generally, the ceramic coating is so good all I do is use a California Car Duster and some Pinnacle Ceramic Detail spray. But when the car is filthy from rain or snow road spray, I fill up a couple of buckets with water and do a gentle ersatz hand wash in my garage. Not perfect, but close enough. Agreed, no commercial car wash, ever.
Old 11-21-2018, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

In cold weather: Generally, the ceramic coating is so good all I do is use a California Car Duster and some Pinnacle Ceramic Detail spray. But when the car is filthy from rain or snow road spray, I fill up a couple of buckets with water and do a gentle ersatz hand wash in my garage. Not perfect, but close enough. Agreed, no commercial car wash, ever.
I see. I'm still struggling with how that would work for me in the winter. I can just imagine the water leaving my garage, then ending up on my driveway and then it freezes and everyone trips and dies.

Oh boy.
Old 11-21-2018, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I see. I'm still struggling with how that would work for me in the winter. I can just imagine the water leaving my garage, then ending up on my driveway and then it freezes and everyone trips and dies.

Oh boy.
Blowtorch.

Quick Reply: Monsoon Grey vs Terra Grey vs Vesuvius Grey