A8 / S8 (D5 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D5 Audi A8 Produced from 2017-Present
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSA? Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2020, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MorganMay
Under hood label on my 2020 A8L 60 says the V8 should use 0-W30 & VW 504 00 specification.
Yes. This is the same on my 2019 V8. I have no idea what the dealership uses if they really “only have one type” as they said. Maybe they were just referring to the type they have up in the service drive area.

Audi has some general published guidance too, but I’d go with the sticker that’s under the hood. I really assumed the dealership would do the same too, but that seems impossible since different cars optimally needed different types. I guess I should be less trusting of the dealership.
https://www.audiusa.com/help/maintenance

Old 03-15-2020, 01:49 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by TXRoar
Yes. This is the same on my 2019 V8. I have no idea what the dealership uses if they really “only have one type” as they said. Maybe they were just referring to the type they have up in the service drive area.

Audi has some general published guidance too, but I’d go with the sticker that’s under the hood. I really assumed the dealership would do the same too, but that seems impossible since different cars optimally needed different types. I guess I should be less trusting of the dealership.
https://www.audiusa.com/help/maintenance
Sadly Audi is quite slow to update online information.
Even though it says 2017 brochure the copyright is 2015.
https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...rochure%20.pdf
The circular at least has an actual date May 2017.
https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam/...-1.22.2018.pdf

Suffice it to say there is a much higher probability the bulk oil is 502 or 504 (5w-40 or 5w-30) since there are more older motors on the road requiring that, whereas the relatively new B-cycle and 3.0Turbos that require 508 (0w-20) are more likely to come from a plastic Liter container at the parts counter.
Not trying to scare you...just saying. I would not trust them.
Old 03-17-2020, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 167 Likes on 128 Posts

I always want to have a one quart of oil backup in the trunk but couldn't find a local source for 0W-30/VW 504 00. Did find Castrol EDGE Professional online though...the same grade must be used in some diesel engines as the supplier was in the diesel engine business. So I'm OK for now...but when that annual service comes around I'm going to be inspecting the label on the dealership's drum of oil to see that it's the right stuff before it goes in my car...Trust, but verify!
Old 09-06-2020, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

The electronic oil level gauge finally hit "MIN" at 5500 miles on my V8 engine. It did start out full or "MAX" originally and I have not added any oil to this point.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 713 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by MorganMay
The electronic oil level gauge finally hit "MIN" at 5500 miles on my V8 engine. It did start out full or "MAX" originally and I have not added any oil to this point.
Have to say, I’m a bit surprised it used that much oil at only 5,500 miles. Can’t recall my prior D4’s 4.0TT V8 using that much oil in that time/mileage span in the 5 years I had the car. But since your V8 engine is now sourced from Porsche, I suppose it’s possible. Porsche engines have a reputation for being somewhat more oil hungry...Well, that’s what I’ve heard anyway.
The following users liked this post:
angrypengu (09-07-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 09:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello,

my new 2020 A8 4.0T just had the low oil warning come on tonight. It said to add 2 qts ASAP, but keep driving. The car only has 3,100 miles and isn’t leaking. I plan on going to buy some 504 oil tomorrow (Saturday) to top it off, but I’ve never had a new car consume so much oil before the first service.

Should I be concerned?

thanks

hank
Old 10-10-2020, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

HankJ, I'd add just one quart first to see what the gauge reads after that. Did the gauge register full when you bought it? When my gauge got to "MIN" at 5500 miles I only added 1/2 quart and it's still above MIN at about 7000 miles. Might be time to go for the old dipstick method to gain further information.

My Corvette engines have always used no oil at all in 5000 miles but I had an old Suburban engine that used a quart in 300 miles. I'd be more unhappy if the oil was leaking out, but I assume your oil, like mine, is getting burned...and hopefully not much back past the intake valves.
Old 10-10-2020, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 713 Likes on 503 Posts

It was me, I’d take it in to the dealer and have them check it out and add the oil. I wouldn’t do it on my own. Might be something they’d want to register on the corporate service system when they collate their data points on this new engine. Since the V8 is Porsche sourced, it’s something new for them (and I recall that Porsche engines tend to use up more oil than Audi engines). Besides, I doubt they’d even charge you for adding the oil.
Old 10-10-2020, 12:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I did add one quart, but it was 0W-20 505 not the recommended 0W-30 504 due to availability on a Saturday. I was just very uncomfortable driving the beast for three days with the oil level low

I’ll take it to the dealer next Tuesday and have them sort things out. The MMI gauge shows half level. By the way, I believe that it was half when I picked it up.

thanks
Old 11-21-2020, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Manchild

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by derfA8L
I’ve also noticed this recently over the last few weeks. I was checking things with the My Audi mobile app and found the oil level down a “tick” off full—but after the next drive, it returned back to full. This has occurred twice after the car passed the 2,000 mile mark...Currently have 2,575 miles on the OD. After this past week’s 100 mile commute (on Monday), it’s currently reading full. Is a bit strange, no?
Noticed this morning my oil is down to 70%. Seems odd as a week ago it was at 100%. 1500 miles on the car. Seems odd to use so much oil. It has to be an over sensitve reading. I do not see any leaks or smoke (a dam well shouldnt!). Ill need to check latter today after i pick up my license plates for the car (yahhhh).

Quick Reply: PSA? Oil Consumption