Annoying Engine Light On/Off

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Annoying Engine Light On/Off

Hello all, I got few problems with my 94 100 S.
1) My engine light kept on/off once a while..it last 5-10 minutes or sometimes longer...when I turn off the engine and restart..it gone..but On again whenever it like to...engine run as normal...what might cause this situation?
2) I just discovered that my CV-BOOT cover on the passanger side broke/tear...how hard is it to replace it? do I need to replace the CV-Joint as well?
I just got the parts for my brake-pads...should it be easier to replace the CV-BOOT then the brakes or don't matter? anything specialty to replace the German brakes or as normal like American cars?
3) where is the Rear Transmission Seal located?
4) I am going to replace the Thermostat this Friday, do I need to empty the radiator fluid in order to do the job? any pics where the Thermostat located?
Very appreciated for all input/help/suggestion/key-pointer...First time owning German car...like to learn...many thanks
Old 09-26-2005, 08:19 PM

Default Re: Annoying Engine Light On/Off

1)for the check engine light you need to pull the codes out of the car. run the car plug the diagnostic cable for about 5 seconds and look at the check engine light it should give you a 4 digit code.report the code to us we may help you. im thinking its a vacuum leak though.

2)if the CV jiont doesnt make a clicking noise around turns they are fine.just get the boot done ASAP. the brakes do not need to be removed to do the CV boot.(actually the brakes should be there to do the job,ill explain later if you need it) but if the wheel is off you might as well,but after the axle is done. but its easy, you need a 12 point triple square 12mm socket, and a 1-1/16 1/2 inch drive impact socket for the axle bolt,with a good breaker bar to go with it.and other basic tools.
ask if you want the details of doing the cv boot job.

3)dont know enough info about the model transmission you have to answer that one

4)before starting the thermostat i strongly advise to get an audi approved,quality thermostat from the dealer,no matter the price,its an important component. yes you need to drain the coolant from the block and the radiator. but use audi/VW specified coolant!if it is pepboys coolant flush and drain that crap out of there.please. anyway, the thermostat is on the passenger side of the engine. you will see the lower radiator hose lead to an aluminum housing.that is the thermostat housing. it is sealed with an O ring and fastened with two 10mm bolts.just ask for the details if you need them.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 151 Posts
Default Pentosin coolant is same as the dealer OEM coolant. If you drain & flush, replace w/ the red...

Pentosin coolant, which is the newer lifetime coolant that was introduced in late the '96 A6 model year. you may purchase Pentosin coolant on-line or from a good local foreign parts store.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:27 AM

Default Re: Annoying Engine Light On/Off

Answer to 1: It might and most definitly would be your Oxygen Sensors. Mine hasn't gone since I replaced them.

Answer to 2: It is sort of easy , but make sure the clamp is very tight. Also you might want to replace both at the same time.
Old 09-27-2005, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default CV boot repair; you can take it off without removing the upper link and control arm.

https://forums.audiworld.com/a6100/msgs/22932.phtml<ul><li><a href="https://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc27.shtml">https://www.audiworld.com/tech/misc27.shtml</a</li></ul>
Old 09-27-2005, 06:47 PM

Default wonderful!!! thanks very much guys...it's going to be a fun weekend....

About my Engine light on/off...It mostly came ON during the first 1/2 hour....well..let me start with the O2 sensor first and see you it goes...