Which Bentley? And advance request for help re: vacuum line.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 07:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Bentley? And advance request for help re: vacuum line.

Good morning c4 people. I realize that I need the Bentley. I've read that there are two versions, maintenance and repair. And I've read compelling and contradictory cases for both. I'm not a mechanic and don't understand combustion engines much though I've been reading a ton and I'm working on understanding the concepts better because I haven't seen one Audi engine photo/video that looks like another. Maybe these cars have all been tinkered on. I'm the second owner of Wilard, a '97 a6 Quattro Avant with 173k. Previously I had a '98 Avant (rip 158k - my bad). I came for the ergonomics and stayed for the drive. I Anyway, I can get my head around the electrical pretty well but am on a steep learning curve with the rest. This car has been a beautiful beast and I have a stubborn commitment and love for it. (Seems we all may have this in common.) Rationalizing shop repair $ at this point seems a bit nutty and this car confounds and annoys all but the most patient, ethical, smart and late in their career mechanics and mine is almost done coming out of retirement for mine. He calls this car the Snow Dragon.. And the others are often playing a guessing game too and sometimes more problems are created than when I arrived. I paid big $ a couple of years ago for fumes in the cabin (simple exhaust leak I realize now). Three hundred miles later and in a different state I discover that he broke the male end of my overflow tank and jammed a piece of a Bic pen and tape to the bit of what remained of the connection. Pro tip: that doesn't work. lol More recently I was told I need a new steering rack (I don't) for $4,400. Not sure but friends tell me that women and car repairs are like shooting fish in a barrel. This has often been my experience- in my unpopulated woods anyway . And in NE metro areas they roll their eyes at this 21 year old car and won't touch it either. . Why don't they see what we do? This era truly are of total design elegance. So I'm trying to step up my game. And it's my only drive and I drive long stretches a good bit. So any opinions about which edition are welcome. I need really clear schematics to learn. I try to roll with the words used so folllwing your posts but it's a mixed bag still. I need to *see* what is being spoken about once or twice so I can understand d how it interconnects, where it is in the engine, what it is called. I'm hopeful the Bentley will help. Vag-Com after that. Honestly, sometimes when I search for info sites push the '97 into the next series. By my VIN it was built in '97. And y'all seem to be driving what I am so I'm confidant about the 100. But d*mn, AG makes us work for it.

Also, as I said this is my only ride and I think I broke a vacuum hose. My oil pressure isn't working and I know that this is like flying a place without a compass. I know it's not this ignition switch btw. And I can see the loose hose. I'll post a couple of photos shortly in the hope that someone could speak to me about it ex: take that t-split and add 3mm tubing and attach it to that round thing in the front right. And oh, that's called an EVAP or return oxygen hose or whatever the case may be. This would be really helpful. From there I can research the concept, learn the engine part name and in the meantime drive my car. I see how people tool on others ignorance a bit on some car forums and I'm preemptively waving the white flag of ignorance while also stating my commitment to problem solving on my own before I swoop in here and ask something that seems lazy or unbelievably basic to
you guys. Lotta words. Please forgive. Just trying to see if there's room in this forum for a rookie.

Sincereky,

jane
Old 10-22-2017, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

There should be a vacuum line routing decal under the hood of your car. It looks like this:

I would get the online Bentley subscription..About $109;

Shopping Cart - Bentley Publishers - Repair Manuals and Automotive Books
Old 10-22-2017, 02:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Which Bentley?

Thank you sir! I'm going to print this and affix to the inside of my hood.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

That picture is for a V6-12v without the air pump..it is helpful but there should be a decal affixed under your hood..maybe on the lower inside corners of the hood for exactly your car.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey thanks. You know these Audis. I'm the second owner. It's not there but will be from Bentley. Changed my ignition switch yesterday. That went well.