Old 08-15-2003, 07:54 AM
BSK
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default carfax is teh svck!

Response (Chrissy) - 08/15/2003 07:15 AM
Hello Stephan,

Thanks for contacting CARFAX by email.

CARFAX's Certified History Guarantee covers CARFAX's ability to report on branded (problem) titles only. No other data is covered by this guarantee program. As such, your situation (as explained thus far) appears to not be suitable for this program.

For more information about the specific coverage of the guarantee, please look at the information at http://www.carfax.com/cfm/hctermsanddef.cfm

Please let me know if you need further information.

Customer (Stephan xxxl) - 08/14/2003 07:10 PM
i bought an audi in march and ran a carfax prior to that purchase. it came back clear and now i have problems with the car. my mechanic stated that the car had been in a severe rear ended accident and isnt safe on the roads. i want to file a claim under the guarantee that i signed up for. the car was first registered in NY and then got moved to SC and sold over there to me in VA. a friend told me that NY clears salavage titles once a car has been rebuild. how do i file the claim with no NY title number? pictures of the damage can be found at http://home.arcor.de/firefighter8/website/

Chrissy
Consumer Affairs
WWW.CARFAX.COM
"Don't buy a used car without CARFAX!"
Old 08-15-2003, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Call them up and just blow your top.....

I do not think there was any mention of a Branded title in your CarFax report..
I still do not get what exactly they mean by a branded title....
Old 08-15-2003, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Your car was never issued a salvage title. Carfax would have reported it.
Old 08-15-2003, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: carfax is teh svck!

ya, that's b.s. I'd call them and tear them a new one. Usually it's SOP for these folks to deny your request on the first go. Saves 'em money because most people will just go away angry.
Old 08-16-2003, 11:05 AM

Default About your car..

I am really impressed with your determination and willpower to fix up that audi. I would probably had cut my losses as soon as I could.

Your web page will benifit many people I think.

Are you gonna sell it or keep it, when you have gotten it all shaped up?

Also, be careful about driving around with that timing belt, a friend of mine complained complained about a sudden new ticking noise in his engine at all rpms, and I suggested it could
the timing belt, having jumped over a teeth or two, and that he should not drive the car at all, and guess what, 3 days later the belt went off, causing a major engine repair, that was not done right, so the engine almost ran out of oil, lucky I was there to see there was no oil on the pin, and it needed 3 quarts of oil to reach the full mark.. Turned out the garage had forgotten a gasket inside the engine. I do have a feeling your timing belt is the original one, so be very careful.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If the car isn't wasn't originally a salvage title, you are out of luck.

Basically CarFax gaurentees against title fraud. For example, if the car had a salvage title, but was sold to you with a clean title, then you would be covered. If the car never had a salvage title, Carfax will not cover it (and rightly so). If you read what Carfax does and doesn't cover, this will become clear.

I'm not sure why people expect Carfax to report every accident...just think about that for a minute...how would they ever know if a car was in an accident?<ul><li><a href="http://www.carfax.com/cfm/hctermsanddef.cfm">Here is the Carfax guarantee</a></li></ul>
Old 08-18-2003, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: "ya, that's b.s. I'd call them and tear them a new one."

No, CarFax is doing exactly as their policy states. They gaurantee against fradulant titles and not much else.<ul><li><a href="http://www.carfax.com/cfm/hctermsanddef.cfm">Carfax guarantee</a></li></ul>
Old 08-18-2003, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: "ya, that's b.s. I'd call them and tear them a new one."

So it wasn't a salvage title then? I thought he said it was.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Its kind of hard to tell from his post, but it looks like he *thinks* that it may have been...

a salvage title at one point in time, but that status may have been cleared.

I have no idea if a salvage title can be cleared as he suggests, but if it can, then it is no longer a salvage title and he couldn't claim anything under the Carfax guarantee.

The only way Carfax will shell out the money is if they said that the car did not have a salvage title and you can show them a title that says salvage on it.