ELECTRICAL/BATTERY related "car won't start" problem...help please!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2002, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ELECTRICAL/BATTERY related "car won't start" problem...help please!!

HI!

My 1992 Audi 100 is experiencing a strange problem..it's always started and ran smoothly and perfectly..

It all started with me LOSING MY KEYS!

So...I looked everywhere and ended up calling AAA for a locksmith to just come over and MAKE me a NEW KEY!!!

The locksmith had sooooo much trouble and after 4-5 hours successfully REMOVED and DISASSEMBLED the TRUNK LOCK CYLINDER..

with the cylinder they successfully made a new key...they inserted into the ignition and the car started normally and ran for a few minutes...
this was after they had the doors open for 4-5 hours...I wanted to allow the car to idle a bit, to recharge the battery, but they said the battery should be fine and they needed the key to TRY to FIX the disassembled trunk cylinder...

After 4 more hours...the locksmith apologized but said the "lock is broken and that I'D have to pay Audi for a new cylinder OR to REPAIR this one"

(I was PISSED!)

Next AM...I called AAA...told them the story...they took care of me completely...sent over some COMPETENT locksmiths and after ANOTHER 31/2 hours...they successfully had the trunk lock put back together like perfect!!!

They left..

a couple of hours later I wwent out to drive the Audi and it WON'T START!!!!!!

When I put in the key...the dash lights illuminate , but the started won't even TRY to work!

I put the battery on a charger on low overnight, assuming the battery was dead...

Checked out the fuse box and indeed the "dome light etc" fuse was blown...put in a new fuse and the dome light still don't work..

tried to JUMP IT from a running car and the STARTER DOESN'T EVEN TURN..

ALL I GET IS THIS HUMMING NOISE AND MAYBE A FEW CLICKS..

I'm wondering...could all the work with the vacuum lock system from the trunk, which also has an ALARM system (trunk only alarm!??) blown some sort of fusible link? relay?? COULD the dash lights etc operate on some circuit that runs DIRECTLY off of the battery? HOW can I get the starter powered? I feel like it is not getting the power!??
I tried to use a voltmeter on the battery...it says 12.5...does that mean the "capacity" it COULD hold or is it charged 12.5 volts??

I HAVE the Bentley CD-rom....that f'n thing is NOT user friendly...OR I'm a MORON!!

PLEASE help me!!!!! I NEED to get this car running!!!

Even when the 1st locksmiths had the car running..they DIDN'T GRIND the starter...I actually was the one who turn the key off..

I can't imagine WHY this car won't start now....especially why it wouldn't start with jumper cables!!

~Christy
Old 09-19-2002, 08:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Two options....

First off, the battery is fine.

1) They installed the trunk lock cylinder wrong and the alarm contact switch is out of adjustment.

Perhaps all you need to do is reset the locking system. I assume you have tried locking and unlocking the car since the trunk lock was put in?? If not, try that first!!

OR

2) The key isn't quite right and isn't properly turning the ignition switch far enough. I say this because on the older ignition switches your *no-start* symptoms are EXACTLY what is seen when those ignition switches fail.

However, the dome light not working makes me think it could be related to the alarm!!

If you determine it's the key I would suggest you go to the dealer and have them cut you a key. If you give the dealer your VIN number they should be able to cut you a key from that. That key will definatly fit!!

HTH!!
Old 09-20-2002, 12:23 PM

Default It's FIXED...

I also posted my problem on the Bentley publishers forum...surprisingly, I got a LIGHTNING FAST response! YES!!

Here's what the problem was...]

Since the trunk had been fooled with...someone had tripped the alarm...I used the key to actually STOP the "honking", but with all the plugging and unplugging of parts in the trunk, the alarm had become DEACTIVATED.
To REACTIVATE...all I had to do was put the key in the driver's door, lock, then unlock and listen for the "honk"..did the same on the passengers side to be overcautious..

THIS reactivated the ALARM, which made the car's ignition WORK, since IF the alarm is tripped, the car goes into "lock down" mode, as to NOT be stolen or driven..

Activating the alarm deemed the car OPERABLE!!!!

I'm SOOOOOO lucky that it was THAT simple!!!!

(had I taken the car to the garage, they would have said the ignition was shot...the battery was dead...it had an electrical short and the interior would have to be stripped for repair..the engine HOISTED...etc etc etc!!!

Whew!

~Christy
Old 09-20-2002, 12:57 PM

Re:Good info!
Old 10-21-2004, 03:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Good Info!

Thanks for this info as I had a similar situation with the clicking sound to the starter and no turning.Thought it was the battery.Tried a new one,no difference then I got to read from the forum and there it was.I locked and un-locked the door with the keys,not with the remote as this did not work when I tried,then I tried and it started.Thankyou so much for all the help as it saves alot of money one would have to spend to have these kind of problems diagnosed.