MAF gone bad and consequent problems. Don't let this happen to you!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF gone bad and consequent problems. Don't let this happen to you!

Dear Members:

I'm sorry to bother you with looking at the pics and downloading two short videos. just thought you could look at this and make a quick assesment: http://www.neiu.edu/~pgalvare/audi100cs/

I have a '92 100cs wtih 152,000. the maf seems to have gone bad gradually, since i can smell the mixture both from the muffler tail pipe And the air filter element (pretty saturated smell).

as this problem graduated, the idle went rougher and rougher till the catalyctic converter started sounding like a diesel mercedes.

I have attached pictures and video of the car running; they include:
busted air filter-- the first part to explode as i was turning the car on one cold morning (loud and white smokey explotion) was the air box behind the engine that says 'v6'. I had to disconnect the maf sensor and throw the car in default mode to be able to start it and drive away.

i replaced the air box with a new one and reconnected the sensor, i also painstakingly disconnected every hose having to do with the air system and retightened them, replacing cracked hoses.

next, a week later the air filter box blew up with another loud bang.

the other picture is of a strange yellow mud-like fluid leaking from one of the hoses in the air system.

there is a video of the engine running; this includes a close up of the recently replaced fuel filter, which started ticking like a Singer sewing machine after i tried to adjust the screw in the MAF (which made no other impact other than making the fuel filter tick).

the last video is of the exhaust sound coming from the tail pipe, and then i put the camera under the cat so that the cat noise is audible.

the car needs several attempts to start and a little gas needs to be pedaled to make it go steady at 8-900 rpm. there is serious loss of power overall and in stop lights i can see the engine loping rythmically (it is almost a soothing massage). not to mention the horrible gas consumption.

So, I have three questions... 1.) are all these problems directly related to the MAF failing, or could there be other sensors involved in the mix? 2.) could that horrible cat converter noise be something loose in there as opposed to it being blocked? I heard that a blocked cat will not let you go at high speeds, but this car will manage to get way over 65 if i push it.
3.) i can't seem to find the MAF anywhere. i was wondering if anyone knew of a Ford Taurus MAF going in instead (p/n: f37f12b579fa (4g19) and how the audi computer would react to it.

thank you for your input; i'm a struggling student and i've been scouring junk yards to find my maf and start saving on gas and save my car in general from the fumes and deposits it's generating.<ul><li><a href="http://www.neiu.edu/~pgalvare/audi100cs/">http://www.neiu.edu/~pgalvare/audi100cs/</a</li></ul>
Old 03-01-2005, 01:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default First things first replace the cats, clogged cats can cause many problems.

You may have a problem which is causing the car to run rich which has destroyed the cats. Are you getting a CEL from the MAF, if you dont have one then its not the MAF. Get your codes read, this will help identify the problem. But like I said you need to replace those cats or hollow them out (for diagnostic purposes) good luck
Old 03-01-2005, 04:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: MAF gone bad and consequent problems. Don't let this happen to you!

I am pretty sure I have a MAF unit from a 92 100 CS!! Email me if interested! rtrudeau1@verizon.net

Smokie
Old 09-20-2005, 04:54 PM

Default Re: MAF gone bad and consequent problems. Don't let this happen to you!

do you know what caused this cat noise