Newbie here, where I am with the A-6

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie here, where I am with the A-6

Hi. I've been basically lurking here for a while so I decided to come right out. I just bought a 96 A-6 Pearl Quattro in mixed condition- Looks BEAUTIFUL though there is incipient rust bubble around the front drivers fender and a few other places. (I will have questions about that later.) The engine and tranny are solid the inside is immaculate. I'm the third owner- the first was careful and sold it at 100000. The second owner was so-so- no abuse but could have been better. I got the vehicle for $5000. My mechanic is GREAT- a real find in upstate NY. He is also willing to "let" me do as much as both of us are comfortable with. So far HE has done timing belt, serp belt, cam and crank seals,Waterpump, thermostat, changed brake fluid, new tensioner and idler pullys. I'VE changed spark plugs, fuel filter oil and air filters and oil AND totally buggered and am leaving for him the rear diff drain plug!!(I'm SO embarrassed.

Next scheduled is struts, and front wheel bearings (did I say it has 152000miles?) He said he disassembles and cleans and checks front end parts when he does all that. BTW he is reasonably priced, and honest (has an immaculate rep in a small towm!)

The car rides like a dream!! We both hope that the above work will hold me (except for maintainance) for the forseeable future and will bring the TOTAL spent to around $7000 (car plus repairs)

Assuming that there aren't many more major mechanical issues, is it worth me thinking about putting some money into the body. Right now it LOOKS perfect- but as I said- trouble's-a-brewing. Also are there mid-way solutions to the body? or should I do it right or not at all?- how long CAN a car like this last (mileage and years) in this hostile environment?

ANYWAY I wanted to introduce myself and thank you guys for this useful forum. I look foward to spending some time here...

Oh-BTW- my other car is a fairly modified Wrangler (daily driver and rock crawler) I feel like I now have the best of two worlds!!
Old 08-24-2003, 07:21 PM
BSK
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome!
Old 08-28-2003, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welcome. Yes, preserve the body, but I wouldn't pay to restore it.

$50 to $500 probably OK, $1000 to $> more would be nonsense. My momma always told me that you "can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear." but you can clean the pigs ear up a little.