So I pulled my intake tonight....

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I pulled my intake tonight....

and found black sludge on the walls ending before the injectors on my 93 100s. I wouldn't think that would be normal. I also found that there is a fair amount of oil in the pcv hoses that go from the intake to the valve covers.

What could this mean?

The reason I'm pulling the intake is because of an oil leak in either the head gaskets or the valley pan gasket. I don't mind changing either, but I'm hoping that it could be the head gaskets leaking pressure into the oil system? and not the, eek, rings...

Anyone have any Ideas?

I don't know the car very well, I got a decent deal on it because of the oil leak (half of which turns out to be the pwr steering high pressure hose), but it's got 120k on it now.
Finally, while pulling the intake I didn't realize the egr sensor was attached where it was, and I pulled hard on the wires once. Is there a way to test the egr sensor before I put it all back together?
Old 10-07-2003, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default probably valve seals..

I just finished rebuilding my 92 100s, I bought it with a snapped timming belt. I replaced all 6 exhaust valves, and valve seals along with re-ground all valves. it was a easy job taking a total of 7-8 hrs. 3 to dismantle, 1 to clean parts and about 3 to reassemble. a head gasket kit was $100 and valve seals were about another $13, that should be all you need. If you are chasing leaks I would go ahead and pull heads and do a valve job, or you can get a pressure fitting that attaches where the spark plugs go so you can pressurise the cyl and you can replace valve seals with out removeing heads, but mine were caked with oil and junk so i would recomend removing and cleaning the valves and intake, I soaked my intake in degreaser and washed out pretty well. as too the egr not sure if you can test it or not. If you plan on doing it I would also recomend replaceing ALL the tensioners and water pump and timming belt at this time, probbly $500 or so, if you don't plan on doing the timming belt and water pump, then don't do anything at all......
Old 10-07-2003, 05:50 AM

Default Steve... my BMW had similar gunk...

I don't know that it's anything to get worked up about. When I pulled the head on the bimmer, there was a vacuum hose that went from the intake manifold to the valve cover and it was about 90% clogged. That slimy sludge may just be common in there on a car that age.

Just my 2 cents. I'm curious to hear what responses you get on the board.

Mark.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:59 AM

Default Re: My 95 A6 had similar oil deposits in the hoses

particularly in the flex hoses running from the valve covers to the plenum. My engine runs fine and I think its pretty normal for an engine of this age to develop this grime. Just means you need to go in there periodically and do some cleaning.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: probably valve seals..

Yeah, I'm doing everything, head gasket, t-belt, tensionors, etc. I dont know about a whole valve job, but i did buy the seals. $500 is about right. I figre, if it's leaking oil and I can't tell if it's the valley pan, then I might as well just do the gaskets. Especially after you make it sound so easy.

Just to get this straight, you think that the valve seals are leaking, which would account for a pressure increase in the valve covers, pushing oil out and into the rubber hoses that go into the intake? I think that sounds reasonable. I'm no engine expert, but I do understand what's going on...
Old 10-07-2003, 04:09 PM

Default Re: So I pulled my intake tonight....

did you ever find the leaks on your stearing fluid? my car has the same problem, and i havent taken the time to find the leaks yet
Old 10-08-2003, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

if you pull it appart spend another $3 and get a small tube of valve grinding compound and grind the valves, takes about another 15 minutes and ensures you get a good seal on the valves. all you do is put a dab of the compound on the lips of the valves and ( I use a cordless drill and ruber hose method)but a 1/4 hose on the valve stem and attach the other end to your drill and slowwly spin the valve so it grinds into the valve seat with very little pressure, do this untill you get a uniform grind on the valve and seat, about 30 seconds per valve unless they are real bad. clean well and replace your seals.
Old 10-08-2003, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2003, 09:42 AM

Steve, I think that place on Odana road might do the valves for not too much $. Might be worth a try.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default valves $28 exh. intake $23 seals $.76 each

these parts are all cheap, my complete gasket kit was $100 with everything except the valve seals and they were $76 each