Diff locks... Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff locks... Troubleshooting

Anyone have a link to a guide to troubleshoot? The search is near-unusable here... so maybe someone has a link off hand...

Do I need to be creeping the car along to get them engaged? Clutch out I am guessing.. its been a while since I have been in an area to have a chance to use them (Florida wasn't really one of those places :-)).
Old 11-29-2003, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Diff locks... Troubleshooting

Creep forward, or you can actually engage them while driving at a decent speed. I'll usually do both once in a while, to "cycle" them, and make sure they work. The rear diff will lock while your going straight, do dont try and lock it when your turning.

Mike
Old 11-29-2003, 11:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Never engage them at any speed! Just lock them and drive off.

If they are not locking, check the vacuum supply lines to the diff.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Never engage them at any speed! Just lock them and drive off.

You CAN lock them at any speed...

Mike
Old 11-29-2003, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I aways locked when I needed to...

The trick is to get them to unlock when you want! The way the system works is the engine vacuum drives a servo found on top/front of the rear diff. A cable engages the center diff and a rod/arm engages the rear. when you active the console switch, the vacuum puts constant pressure on the levers which engage when there is free play. If you engage at speed you may need to back off the power or blip the power while in gear to allow some slack time for the diffs to lock. Same thing when disengaging at speed. you may need to slow down, go into a high gear (say 5th at 15 or 20, blip the throttle and let off to get some slack in the driveline and it should disengage. If you are not engaging at all. Start by manually inspecting the vacuum lines around the servo, then manually move the center diff's lever - to free it up as they can get rusted stiff and grease it up good. You should be able to manually lock the diffs this way then do the same to unlock manually. If you find the vacuum lines are good next is to check the switch in the dash, then the servo. If you need a Servo Blau carries them for about $90.
Old 11-29-2003, 07:44 PM

Agree. I routinely cycle mine on and off at highway speed just to keep the mech free.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Not a problem engaging them while driving.

I've turned mine on and off while at speed. Just make sure you're in a straight line.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That is so dangerous. On my Cq you CAN NOT use them over 20MPH, it shuts itself off.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Our system is alot different than Torsen

But, we all know that.

Mike
Old 11-30-2003, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: That is so dangerous. On my Cq you CAN NOT use them over 20MPH, it shuts itself off.

It is perfectly fine to lock the diffs at any speed. The reason for the speed over-ride on the TorSen cars is Audi wants the ABS to stay enabled as much as possible, to aide in deceleration in less than ideal circumstances. The reasoning behind that is the same for going with the TorSen, removing the "human factor" in deciding when to, or when not to use something.

Trust me, the 5kq will see a fair amount of driving this winter all locked up ;-)

Quick Reply: Diff locks... Troubleshooting