Friday Poll- what do you guys think about bailing out the US auto industry?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Friday Poll- what do you guys think about bailing out the US auto industry?

I've actually borrowed this post from the A6 forum [done yesterday]. there's a bunch of insightful posting on that one, and I thought you guys would have equally good stuff to share.

My initial response was a Yes... however with a caveat: Do it... however make it mandantory that USA carmakers have EFI's of 50mpg or better on new cars.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/a6/msgs/821426.phtml">A6 x-post link</a></li></ul>
Old 12-05-2008, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The fat cats made money for so long... and they were in bad shape before the economy took a dive.

I know the impact on the economy is massive, but can you realistically prop up an economy on a falsely valued companies?

Toyota just opened a new plant here. GM, Ford, Chrysler are all closing them.

I say let them go Chapter 11. Get a massive refinancing scheme in place. Trim the lines way back. In short get their ducks all in a row for a change. Become competitive again and away they go. Why should the public take a risk financing them?

People give the example of Chrysler being bailed out by massive loans long ago... and Iacoca brought us the K-car. Somnehow I don't think that solution is a viable one today when you look at the competition provided by Toyota, Honda, VAG...

Ford had to sell off Aston Martin a few years back because that was their only valuable branch! Think of it! A British car company their only viable and marketable section!

The dinosaurs passed on... I think the big 3 will as well. Volt or no volt.

That's my $0.02...
Old 12-05-2008, 02:44 PM

They need to figure it out on thier own...that's what capitalism is; survival of the fittest.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:47 PM

But hey; if I had a chance to get $45B of free money, I'd go a beggin too.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The economy needs them to bail themselves out, create something innovative so peope will buy...

Or keep making the same old crap. But at all costs keep Ford out of Bond movies, it's an insult to Fleming
Old 12-05-2008, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mixed emotions here

I honestly would like to see them not get any bailout help or money, but that could make things as a whole even worse.
The line workers for the big 3 make so much money, its crazy! Im not a union fan or person, but they seem to do alot of complaining.
I vote to not help them out, they did it to themselves. GM has so many useless car brands, they need to consolidate heavily if they did get the bailout money. Ditch Hummer and Saab, concentrate on a certain number of cars.

If they do get the bailout money it will make me wonder that no matter what people do, the government will always be there to hold their hand and to give them what they want/need. For that reason I hope the bailout does not happen.

Again, when it comes to me and politcs we dont mesh, so Im probably missing more to the puzzle here.
Im happy to drive a German car, thats all I have to say.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Even if they get it thats just to cope with what has happened... not going to fix it all of a sudden
Old 12-05-2008, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Mixed emotions here

hey its just three weeks of iraq money better chance you might get some of it back
Old 12-05-2008, 04:20 PM

Ha ha!!! So true...and so sad! Where's all the free oil my tax dollars have been paying for?
Old 12-05-2008, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default First of all Crysler should not be on the list......

They are not a public traded company and are privately owned.

That said, yes GM and Ford should be bailed out with the rest of the 150B left over from the 700B given to Wall Street. The car industry is very important to the United States and loosing even more jobs would be very bad. The Treasury needs to keep better tabs on the $$$$ they are giving out though. They cant even account for where half of the 700B was spent. Why use more when there is still money left from the first bailout?

Quick Reply: Friday Poll- what do you guys think about bailing out the US auto industry?