Hesitation on starts

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation on starts

Hey I'm new to this forum and old audis. I recently picked up a 84 4000s quattro with the intent of building it for rally. So I'm gradually working through the issues to get it to run without issues. Excuse me if this issue has already been addressed in another thread but I couldn't find any.

So when I start it, its idle is erratic and almost dies. This goes away once the engine gets hot, so I'd like to sort that out. But the bigger issue is after it starts, no matter how hot or cold the engine is, it will hesitate for the first few minutes of driving. It will speed up to 2-3k and then won't want to go past it. It loses all power. Then after driving for a bit it goes away and doesnt have an issue. I am at a loss for whats causing this. Along with that, it will hit a wall around 4-5k and wont go past that. Thats a constant issue that I've never had go away since owning the car. I have been using it for a dd to try and drive some of the issues out, since it has sat for a while before my buying it and I know these CIS systems dont like to sit.

Any help or pointing me in the right direction is greatly appreciated.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got pretty much the same issues with mine that sat for some 5+ years. I'm currently troubleshooting, so I'll definitely let you know if I nail it down.

That's an awesome pic too!

-Rog
Old 04-06-2018, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Rogviler
I've got pretty much the same issues with mine that sat for some 5+ years. I'm currently troubleshooting, so I'll definitely let you know if I nail it down.

That's an awesome pic too!

-Rog
Thanks! My local parking garage has got some cool artwork in it that makes it good for backdrops. Good luck trying to find the cause! I’ve been trying to go through and replace hoses and lines, might be a vacuum leak or something along those lines. Let me know what you find!
Old 04-06-2018, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm personally suspecting a sensor or electronic component. I think CIS-E is why so many people say they hate CIS. I have CIS basic on an older Audi and it's a dream. A lot like a carb but actually even simpler as far as adjustment. But you get electronics involved and it can be a nightmare, particularly when they still weren't sophisticated enough to tell you what's wrong. Will be doing some digging this weekend.

-Rog
Old 07-05-2018, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't know if you're still banging your head against the wall, but check out my mega-thread I've been whipping up over here. I have the same type problem with hitting a wall at about 4000 RPM's, and I think its a timing issue, see the post for more details. I just posted about it after I ordered a replacement pickup coil. Don't listen to Rog, he's just jealous because his car didn't come with a cool beer-can exhaust like mine did. God bless you Rog