A Motor Mount question - perhaps DDG can answer AND 4kq swaybar first impressions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2005, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A Motor Mount question - perhaps DDG can answer AND 4kq swaybar first impressions

I was out in the shop today mentally preparing for the task of replacing what look too be the orignal motor mounts that came with my car. It all looks pretty straightforward but I've got a few questions. DDG mentioned a few months back that he simply loosened the mounts and jacked from the bell-housing but also had to 'loosen the snub-mount' How do I go about it. I'm not really familiar with the term and don't know where it loosens from!

#2. I thought I saw in bently that the mounts need to be tightened with the car running at idle. Is this really necessary - and if so, how the heck do I get at the mount way below all the CIS junk without getting my face ripped off by accessory belts!?

As I said a few days ago, I got the 4kq swaybar installed. I reused one of my stock endlinks, and had to order a new one to replace the one that was BROKEN on my car. I reused the washers and nuts (using loctite) as well. I also ordered 4kq center bushings. I had to use the D shaped clamps that Force5 sent with the 4kq swaybar. It all bolted up pretty easy, though it did take some jacking up and down to get it to a place were it all lined up easily. First day driving felt good. Today going around an on-ramp with tires quealing the leeeeaaaaan was back! I knew something was up. The end link pulled clear through the bushing! Turns out that one of the washers I re-used must have been toast. That is unless there is some other problem with my set-up that is putting too much stress there causing this pull-through and the previous endlink breaking. Any thoughts on this? Anyhow, I've got it back together now ready for another flogging tomorrow.
Old 04-19-2005, 07:38 PM
Banned

Default Snub mount = center mount.. its probably somewhere on the front of the engine.

It should be a rubber mount like a bushing. I dont see why tightening a mount with the motor running would need to be done? Sorry I coulnt be more helpful.
Old 04-19-2005, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, that didn't help me much - I knew it was up front

Just dont quite know what bolts need to be loosened and how much.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:15 AM

Default Mounts

I'm not sure why you'd need to loosen the snub mount...guess we'll have to wait for Garza to chime in. The snub mount is part of the front bracketry. If you need clearance here, it's easier to remove the two bolts for the U shaped bracket attached to the front sheet metal. I installed my mounts without the car running (never heard of such a thing).
Old 04-20-2005, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default So you pulled the brackets off with the mounts..?

I think im due for one on the pass side, so planning early..

The bently does say to tighten while idling.. its a bear on the pass side, piece of cake on the Drivers.. I figured it was to draw up the nut while its vibrating.. Pass side needs a uni-socket joint, and a couple of long 1/2" extensions and a deep socket, and tough hands... oh and some cursing...

hal
Old 04-20-2005, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Bentley likes "alignment"

I noticed the front snubber on my 16V Scirocco had disappeared. When I looked through Bentley, they talked a lot about lossening all mounts so that the engine was properly "aligned". This may matter when reinstalling, but if the engine is properly aligned, replacing one mount at a time seems more practical.