My 1985 4000 turbo quattro project

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiCoupeGT1986
50hp change? I'm pretty sure you'll get more than that. A stock 4k puts out about 115hp if your lucky. With the swap, you'll be pushing 200+hp. You can even get upwards of 215hp with a chip (yes, there are upgrade chips available for this, check out ben swann) and a stiffer wastegate spring. Remember, that power is going into a 4k. This amount of power will be a blast in the lighter and small body of the 4k.

Nothing wrong with a well-working CIS system. They are pretty dang reliable when they are dialed in.
See, thats what i was hoping to hear.
where i got 163hp from was out of the stock 5kqt.
i understand it will be better in a lighter car.
200+ HP is a nice number. my 3800lb pathfinder has 153hp. so i cant even begin to imagine 200+ in a 4kqt! D:
Ill look into the chip and wastegate spring. (as i said im new to turbo, so im not sure what a wastegate even does! lmao)
thanks for verifying the numbers, makes me more motivated!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, I'll be sticking with CIS. The only reason to go standalone would be for ease or specifically for running a bigger turbo or changing some other variable that the stock ECU wouldn't like. CIS is like a carb, just some screws to adjust and that's about it. I like it quite a bit.

You're right that the MC1 is rated at around 160hp (162 according to the Bentley), but it's not hard to get above that just with simple things. My chip and wastegate spring are from Intended Acceleration, but there are a few others out there. I'm expecting 200hp, hoping for more.

Basically, the wastegate regulates how much boost pressure there is allowed into the engine. Once it gets to a certain point the wastegate opens and dumps off the excess out the tailpipe. So, if you can keep it from opening until even more pressure builds up, you'll get more boost allowed into the system. The only thing is you need a matching chip so that the ECU doesn't freak out and think the world is coming to an end.

But for sure you'll feel even a 50hp gain in these cars. You're talking about the JT having almost 1/3 less power than a stock MC. If you can get above 200hp you're talking almost double the horsepower.

There is a lot of plumbing to do for the intercooler, but it's not too bad. You can run it back behind the grill pretty easily, but I've also seen it go under the engine or around the back in the case of keeping the JT intake. The single-pass ones are preferable for performance I think, but they do also make them like the stock 5000 one so it enters and exits on the same side.

-Rog

Last edited by Rogviler; 07-03-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wastegate are used to release excess boost pressures that may occur in the turbocharger due to varying loads. The stiffer wastegate spring that can be obtained from the mentioned source. This also has to be teamed up with the upgraded chip.

I'm sure Rog can comment on more of this as well.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Rogviler
Yes, I'll be sticking with CIS. The only reason to go standalone would be for ease or specifically for running a bigger turbo or changing some other variable that the stock ECU wouldn't like. CIS is like a carb, just some screws to adjust and that's about it. I like it quite a bit.

You're right that the MC1 is rated at around 160hp (162 according to the Bentley), but it's not hard to get above that just with simple things. My chip and wastegate spring are from Intended Acceleration, but there are a few others out there. I'm expecting 200hp, hoping for more.

Basically, the wastegate regulates how much boost pressure there is allowed into the engine. Once it gets to a certain point the wastegate opens and dumps off the excess out the tailpipe. So, if you can keep it from opening until even more pressure builds up, you'll get more boost allowed into the system. The only thing is you need a matching chip so that the ECU doesn't freak out and think the world is coming to an end.

But for sure you'll feel even a 50hp gain in these cars. You're talking about the JT having almost 1/3 less power than a stock MC. If you can get above 200hp you're talking almost double the horsepower.

There is a lot of plumbing to do for the intercooler, but it's not too bad. You can run it back behind the grill pretty easily, but I've also seen it go under the engine or around the back in the case of keeping the JT intake. The single-pass ones are preferable for performance I think, but they do also make them like the stock 5000 one so it enters and exits on the same side.

-Rog
The whole purpose of the swap is that it gets much more power. I understand i can still feel the 50hp difference. but doing all that work for 50hp doesnt make me too interested. lol
ill be keeping everything from the intake as stock as possible. Im still getting the cars either way. Just not sure anymore if i wanna swap.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

You might as well if you are getting both cars. I've talked to numerous people that have done the swap and have loved every moment of it from tearing apart, to finally driving it. I'm pretty pumped to get started on mine.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

just wondering. I have a spare KX motor kicking around, would it be worth while turbocharging it? or what about individual carbs?
Old 07-03-2012, 09:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiCoupeGT1986
You might as well if you are getting both cars. I've talked to numerous people that have done the swap and have loved every moment of it from tearing apart, to finally driving it. I'm pretty pumped to get started on mine.
yeah, i think im going to go ahead and do it. im planning a trip the weekend of 21st to go get the turbo car. then next month i should be able to go get the 4kq. the 5kqt will have to be towed. its tranny is effed. but the 4kq if anything, ill have to shift without a clutch. which will be fine since most of the driving is freeway. im not towing it home... :P so i should be starting mine next month or sept!
Old 07-03-2012, 10:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by audi-driver1126
just wondering. I have a spare KX motor kicking around, would it be worth while turbocharging it? or what about individual carbs?
Hey, if you have a spare, light it up! Honestly, if you built it right it could take a good amount of boost. Fueling would be the issue, the ECU definitely wouldn't like the turbo. Probably have to go standalone or figure out a turbo ECU solution.

I've always wanted to play around with some motorcycle carbs. You could completely clear out all the wiring and not have to worry about any of that stuff.

Totally possible, clean as hell, and sounds pretty sweet:

If you know carburetors I imagine it would be cake. If not it would take a lot of fiddling, but would be so much fun to play with.

Another take with a single Holley:

http://youtu.be/-ealfasHi1U

Probably easier to just do one, but five looks more impressive.

-Rog
Old 07-03-2012, 11:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

so, upon talking the the friend that owns the cars. i was told that the JT head will have a higher compression ratio than the stock turbo MC head... is this true? so keeping the JT's head will give more power. no?
Old 07-04-2012, 09:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kyle94
so, upon talking the the friend that owns the cars. i was told that the JT head will have a higher compression ratio than the stock turbo MC head... is this true? so keeping the JT's head will give more power. no?
No, unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) the only physical difference between the heads themselves are the vacuum pump on the JT and lack of it on the MC. In fact the MC has the spot cast for the vacuum pump, it's just not cut out and drilled, which I find pretty interesting.

The compression difference is because the MC has dished pistons. But the JT is only 8.5:1, MC1 is 7.8:1, so you're not talking about a lot anyway. High compression is better for the turboless, while lower compression is better for boost. Too low and it'll be a dog off the line, so the MC1 is probably as low as you'd want. It's a good fit with the later K24 since it spools faster.

So I'd leave it. You'd be having to swap the exhaust valves as well, since the MC has the sodium-filled ones that can stand up to the harsh conditions of turbocharging. Plus it's cleaner without that clattering vacuum pump.

-Rog

Quick Reply: My 1985 4000 turbo quattro project