Replacing fuel lines , parts list I have, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing fuel lines , parts list I have, need advice

I searched the forum and can see that mikescoupegt replaced fuel lines, and fastorange and maybe dbf.

The return line from the engine to the fuel tank rusted through about 6 inches from where iit connects to the flexible line that goes to the tank. I repaired the rotted section with some 5/16 fuel injection hose but can't get it to seal where it clamps to the metal tubing...SO time to replace the whole fuel line....

Parts: 25 - 30 ft steel tubing - 8mm
1 flaring tool - is it a metric flaring tool
metric Fuel Injection hose
numerous hose clamps (2 per connection)
many hours
Do I need anything else ?

Nothing is as simple as it first looks, so I'm looking for advice of the sort

'Are you crazy, replace the fuel line ?? Go pay a shop to do it'

OR

" Not too bad, just take your time . '

I've so far replaced, all four struts, two calipers, one wheel bearing, two tie rods, one starter, and installed Hella 500's.

I do have another car to drive (86 scirocco) so can afford to have the 4k down for a day.

Thanks for the help.
Dave G.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:30 PM
Elder Member

Default good idea-i need to do mine too

i'm sure that the rubber grommet/hanger idea was good at its inception but not this many miles later. i've played the game with injector hose long enough...
Old 04-16-2004, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default regarding your flaring tool

you want a double flaring tool. the simple cheep ones risk splitting the pipe and don't seal as well as a double flare.

I also found a very small slot screwdriver very good at undoing the fuel line clips.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Replacing fuel lines

For me it wasnt that hard, just time consuming as i have 3 kids to work around. When I replaced the lines, I had to do it at my folks place because I didnt have a garage.

Heres what I did. I bought the fuel line, and used a double flare tool, just as Cdn Blue suggests. From there the hardest part of the whole thing is bending the fuel line properly. My inlet line is steel and the return line is the same as what you have, the fuel injection rubber line. For the inlet line, I connected the old line (couldn't get it off the fuel filter due to age and 300K + kilometer mileage) and the new line with the rubber and 4 clamps, this has worked great with no leaks.

Best advice I can give is to take your time and do it right the first time. Measure twice and cut once, you dont want to be doing this again.

Enjoy.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Replacing fuel lines , parts list I have, need advice

Well first of all I have never replaced the lines on my Audi, but I have on Rabbits. Rabbits were prone to rusting at one particular bend. What I did was cut out the offending section with a tubing cutter, back to clean metal line and then inserted a new piece of steel fuel line using compression fittings. Never had a leak using this method. Seems like a lot of effort to replace the entire fuel line if you only have a short section thats bad. Good Luck!
Packrat
Old 04-17-2004, 05:51 PM

Default Rats, foiled again...

I can't find 8mm steel fuel line at any of the local shops, even ones that say they are ' foreign car' shops. I don't want to try to just patch the bad section as I'll be loaning the 4k to my son for the summer and don't want to worry about him drving a molotov cocktail. ANyway, called my favorite Audi mechanic and he said about $200 to replace both lines , front to back. I'll go with that.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Dave G.
Old 04-17-2004, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Call the RST Performance Guys

The Blethen brothers have pre bent fuel line. All set up, you just have to install it.
Old 04-27-2004, 08:10 PM

Default Re: good idea-i need to do mine too

On the same note: where can I get new fuel lines from (im looking for the lines from the fuel distributer to the injectors and whatnot)?

I have been going through blau for a while now, since they are less than an hours drive away from me and that saves shipping costs, but they cant get it. They cant get much for my car it seems, ive asked for multiple things that they cant get (fuel lines, throttle cable, etc, etc).