Subframe mounts, question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 04:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Subframe mounts, question

Upon reading about them on the 90 forum, I think it would be a good investment to replace them when I do my MC swap. Sound like a good idea?
Ive never dealt with the subframe, are the mounts difficult to replace? Keep in mind, I wont have the engine in there!
Will my suspension alignment be off after I replace them? Any "special" tools needed?

Mike
Old 12-08-2004, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, how hard is it to do them with the engine in there?
Old 12-08-2004, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Subframe mounts, question

pretty easy.... i took my whole subframe off with the control arms attached. You have to jack the car up.... disconnect the ball joints and sway bar... and undo all 4 subframe bolts.... on the cgt one of the mounts is shared by the tranny mount thing. I used a tool simular to huw's site (i think that was it)... a threaded rod and some plumbing stuff that looked about right... to push the old mounts out and press the new ones in. dunno about the alignment... mine still runs straight. once they are pressed in just put it all back together. might also be a good time to replace ball joints and control arm bushings if yours are beat.... hope that was a bit helpfull...

Jared
Old 12-08-2004, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good info, thanks Jared

I figured it wouldnt be too bad. Ball joints and control arm bushings are fairly new, so Im safe there. Subframe mounts would be a good idea while the engine is out, more money to spend, blah.

Mike
Old 12-08-2004, 05:25 PM

Subframe should be removable with the engine in place
Old 12-08-2004, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

kind of pricey, aren't they?
Old 12-08-2004, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not sure...just looked at ETKA

Looks to be the trans mount, which I have, and 2 other mounts on the other side, but both have different PN's. Does this sound correct?

Mike
Old 12-08-2004, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default here is what I have in my notes

shown are PN and quantity.

> 857 199 415 B[4]
front subframe front mounts and rear subframe rear mounts

> 857 199 419 C[2]
rear subframe front mounts

> 857 199 419 B[2]
front subframe rear mounts

Seems like last time I checked, they were dealer items and $40+ each. Could be a little off on the price, but they weren't giving them away.

Let me know what you find out.
Old 12-08-2004, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default heh, actually

You could probably drop the subframe, engine and tranny all as one unit. Might be easier going through the bottom rather then the top. I remember we had an old Mercedes and that is how we swapped the engines. We just dropped the whole front subframe assembly.

First we got to make sure everything is disconnected from the body and the rest of the car. Then we put it up on the lift and raised it up enough to get jacks under the subframe. We then lowered the car enough so the the subframe was resting on the jack stands. The car was body was supported by the body seams which are strong enough to hold. We then unbolted the four subfram mount bolts and slowly raised the car off the subframe. Once the car was up high enough, we we able to put the tires back on, because the axles were still attached, and get a jack under the engine and rolled it out from under the lift.

Once we got it to an open arear, we were able to get it all apart, used a hoist to lift the engine off the subframe and put the new one on. Once that was all together we rolled the subframe back under the car on the jack stands. Then we lowered the car slowly back down and using the jack and muscle to line everything back up. We installed new mounts, bolted it up and once it was in, we were able to reconnect everything pretty easily.

There were two of us doing this and I think it will be best to have at least two doing it.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Slickness

I'll put those in my notes of things to check on and buy next summer.
I want snow!!!!!!!!!! Where is it at

Mike

Quick Reply: Subframe mounts, question