1989 Audi 200TQ MC1 vs MC2

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2004, 11:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Audi 200TQ MC1 vs MC2

I am looking at possibly purchasing a '89 200 TQ with 200,xxx km's. What is the difference between the MC1 and MC2 engine? This will be my daily driver. I will be taking it up to the mountains this winter and if she treats me good she might be lucky to get some more power. I am looking for affordable mods. The ones that interest me the most are probably the chip and wastegate spring upgrade. Anyone have any thoughts to this. Should I also throw in a K&N?

Also maintenence... what should I get done first? Never owned a turbo-charged car and I want to make sure the engine/turbo is healthy and lasts me a long time. Owner says he is getting 1.4 bar right now which sounds pretty healthy for a 10V.

Thanks guys
Old 10-23-2004, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: 1989 Audi 200TQ MC1 vs MC2

not much difference in the two engines except the MC-2 has 2 knock sensors and the MC-1 has only one. when it comes to adding a chip and a wastegate spring ... stay with the MC1. The MC2 is a bit harder and more expensive to find a chip for. You can buy a chip/spring/strap kit for the MC1 from Ben Swann for $110. nothing that i've seen like that for the MC2.

if you want to throw in a K&N filter .. its gonna have to be a panel filter. these cars don't take the cone filter. that can't be more then 50 bucks. so for a total of $160 youve got yourself a pretty quick car. its so much more worth it to get the MC1. i've never heard of any dependability issues comparo's between the MC1/2.

HTH
Old 10-23-2004, 12:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Found a good site...

http://www.homestead.com/Ben_Swann/boostin.html

Found it very informative. From what I read, if I chip and get a spring, I have to strap the intercooler and instal a bypass/BOV?

Where is this Ben Swann I am interested in contacting them if it's only $110 for that kit. Will I have to ship out my ECU though?
Old 10-23-2004, 01:05 PM

Default you want a bypass not a bov...

the air is metered in the mc engines.. venting will throw off the metering.

I have the 89 200tq with the mc2 and I love it... looking for a chip/spring tho.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Black-Wolf... had couple questions for ya

What size are your wheels? Spare tire the same or is it a steelie?

I'm guessing if I get mod-happy I might as well do it right, so with the chip, spring, durable intercooler hose clamps (the last 3 are Ben Swanns kit) plus a by-pass valve I should be ok? Or is there any other upgrades that need to be made. I want the engine/turbo to last as long as possible so I'd rather do it right the first time.

I understand the car has to be in perfect shape before doing any of these mods so I would plan on doing spark plugs, oil and filter, air filter, tranny and diff oil. Any other good maintance tips?
Old 10-23-2004, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ben is reliable and a good source of knowledge.
Old 10-23-2004, 06:10 PM

Default yea do those.. and...

clean the throttlebody and isv, make sure all the hoses are in good shape on the breather system (especially the crankcase and t hoses). strap the intercooler so you don't blow the ends off...
Don't neglect the other side of going fast... check the brakes and stuff as well.
Old 10-23-2004, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chris at force5auto.com has a chip for the MC2 for ~ $100...

I've posted this before, but maybe you missed it. I've been running my chip for over 2 years now without problems. If you know how to solder Chris will send you just the chip and spring if you want. If you're not sure of your soldering skills you can send him your ecu and he will install it for you for a bit more money. If you're careful in removing the stock chip you can install a socket and have the option of returning to stock if you decide to sell the car later.
Old 10-23-2004, 10:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default tim200tq... you running chip and spring and thats it?

Just was curious as to wether you did the bypass valve or strapped the intercooler or anything else other than the chip/spring combo. Thanks again for all the input guys.

Black-wolf, still curious as to wether your spare tire is also a BBS 15" or is it a steelie? Anyone else have a set of these on their 200?
Old 10-24-2004, 12:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

If you're running his chip, share your opinions tim?

Quick Reply: 1989 Audi 200TQ MC1 vs MC2