Old 04-20-2005, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 5k na won't start. spark and fuel

1986? Audi 5000
i5 non turbo
manual trans
fwd
fuel injected (fuel distributor)

I've had a 5k sitting in my garage for a few months now. It was trailered here because there were electrical issues that caused the starter to not rotate (faulty ignition switch). It started fine before this issue. I started it once by giving 12v to the starter solenoid. It idled fine, other then a sticky throttle.

I removed the tb and cleaned it (major carbon build up) and reinstalled a spring that had came off. I also wired up a push button start with a relay, taping off of a ECU power wire for the switch. I also replaced the spark plugs with new champion coppers.

Now that everything is back together, it hasn't been starting for me at all. I've been trying it for weeks.

I tried disconnecting all my starter wiring, and just jumping 12v to the solenoid again. Nothing.

I sprayed starter fluid in the first two cyls. Nothing.

I tested for spark. I can see it (so tbelt is still on). I smell fuel in the combustion chamber. The fuel pump is turning on for prime.

Today I replaced the hose clamps on the tb bend, jumped it with a runing car, replaced the dist cap with a spare one that I cleaned, replaced the wires with a spare set, and reinstalled the old plugs. Still no fire.

Last time I played with it, it would sometimes fire on one cyl, then die. Then it would never fire again until the next day.

Ignition timing has not been touched. Gas was added to the tank, but I will be adding 5 gallons of premium today (to enrich the watered down gas thats left in the tank).

The clip for the cold start valve connector fell off and has never shown it's face again. I used a zip tie to hold the connection. I don't think this is relevent, but who knows.

A compression test has not been done. I'd assume nothing has changed since it started in my garage last month.

Are there some sort of common no-start issues that I am unware of? Is there something I'm overlooking?

I need to get this overgrown brick out of my garage. Preferably under it's own power.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:33 AM

Default Re: 85 5k na won't start. spark and fuel

The cold start valve is VERY important.. it wont fire without it.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:57 AM

My mistake. It's a throttle position sensor connector (nt)
Old 04-20-2005, 03:02 PM
Audiholic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: 85 5k na won't start. spark and fuel

Have you checked for output at the coil and the distributor. Since you had an ignition sw problem, switch the key to "ON", not "START" and make sure you have 12V going into the + side of the coil. If you don't, the problem is isolated to the sw. If 12V is there, pull the coil wire out of the dist center post far enough to watch for spark jump. Have someone crank the engine. As the distributor rotates and the coil field collapses, you should see spark jump. If spark is pesent, the problem is most likely in the dist. If no spark jump, probable cause will be the coil.
Old 04-20-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Also check this:

Pull the cold start injector then reattach the fuel and electrical if you disconnected them. Point the injector into a container and have someone crank the car. if you get fuel then its not the problem. If not crack the line loose from the injecttor and try again if fuel leaks then its either a bad injector or electrical to it. if no fuel then tighten the line back up and crack it loose at the fuel distributor. Fuel should leak out, if not replace the dist. if so replace the line to cold start valve. if its electrical check your temp sensor on the water neck for corrosion (VERY COMMON) and repair as nessisary.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:23 PM

It has spark (nt)
Old 04-24-2005, 01:18 PM

Default No fuel from the cold start injector!

I just did your first test, and no fuel is coming out of the cold start injector while cranking the starter.

I'm pretty sure I'll have fuel at the line, since I've been smelling fuel in the exhaust. So the problem is probably electrical, or with the injector itself.

I am now going out to check for fuel to the line.

Thank you very much for your informative reply.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:57 PM

I had the same problem, the fuel line was plugged solid had to replace it
Old 04-24-2005, 02:21 PM

Fuel squirted out of the line.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:26 PM

Great, check your temp sensor and possibly replace the cs inj.