anyone ever replace the clutch in there A/C compresser

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 07:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone ever replace the clutch in there A/C compresser

just wondering what I'm getting in to here or if I should just pony up the cash for a whole new compreser ??
Old 07-07-2009, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

I replaced the AC clutch on my 5000 last summer. I bought a whole compressor from the junk yard and then swapped clutches. It's not that hard at all, but I had to use a pulley puller to get the clutch off. I think it was easier than having to drain the freon and swap the whole compressor.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

not a hassle at all to swap the clutches, although I strongly recommend using a compressor clutch puller instead of a pulley puller. Just pop the nut off, twist the puller onto the stud, old clutch pops off, slide the new one on, using either gentle pressure from a hammer or a ac clutch installer (usually comes when you buy the puller)
Old 07-12-2009, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some FLAPS have the pulley tool for rent or for purchase/resale back to them when you're done.

The pulley has internal threads the puller screws into and then its own internally threaded pusher to apply pressure and remove the pulley.

Do you know that you have power to the clutch connector when A/C operation should occur, as well as a good ground in the connector? Sometimes it's a high or low pressure switch or low charge in the system that stops the clutch from functioning.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kneale Brownson
Some FLAPS have the pulley tool for rent or for purchase/resale back to them when you're done.

The pulley has internal threads the puller screws into and then its own internally threaded pusher to apply pressure and remove the pulley.

Do you know that you have power to the clutch connector when A/C operation should occur, as well as a good ground in the connector? Sometimes it's a high or low pressure switch or low charge in the system that stops the clutch from functioning.
nope I don't know any of that. All I do know is that when you push the button the blower starts working and nothingelse comes on compresser wont kick in. also I noted that my heat is not getting hot ?? I put some 134a in and the guage said it was over filled so I stoped and bled it to the good mark . and still nothing ? ? I checked fuses and they are good so ? ? ?
Old 07-14-2009, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

heat won't get hot when the a/c is turned on--valve in the line from the engine closes during A/C use.

I don't know what model/year car you have. On some, there is a connector in the wiring to the clutch that's close to the clutch where you could test for power/ground performance.

It's not uncommon for a/c clutches to fail, though.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Perform at your own risk - can cause death

If you take a jumper wire and connect it to battery positive and then connect the other end to the A/C compressor positive connection you can see if the A/C clutch actually functions. There is a catch..

If the A/C clutch actually functions you may desire to leave this connected so you have Cold A/C.. ***DO NOT LEAVE THE JUMPER WIRE CONNECTED because this bypasses the safety systems in your Climate Control system. This will more than likely cause a burst in an A/C line which will be at hundreds of pounds of pressure (PSI)

For all realistic needs I would leave the engine off during this clutch test. If you see and hear the clicking noise of the electric clutch I would guess 90% of the time your problem is elsewhere in the electrical circuit of the system (high/low pressure safety switches/connections/climate control head/relay in fuse box)

edit: And if the clutch appears to work I would then go first to your relay in your fuse box. You may also jump the A/C clutch here but it's not as "direct" of a connection here. Locate the A/C relay and jump electrical terminals 87 to 30. These are the direct connection terminals to your A/C clutch. Also - DO NOT RUN THE SYSTEM JUMPED HERE AS THE SAME SERIOUS RISKS APPLY (This will not tell you if your relay is faulty.)

If interested in performing these first tests let us know what happens and we'll go from there.

Hope this helps,

Alex

Last edited by Blue44; 07-14-2009 at 01:09 PM.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Blue44
Perform at your own risk - can cause death

If you take a jumper wire and connect it to battery positive and then connect the other end to the A/C compressor positive connection you can see if the A/C clutch actually functions. There is a catch..

If the A/C clutch actually functions you may desire to leave this connected so you have Cold A/C.. ***DO NOT LEAVE THE JUMPER WIRE CONNECTED because this bypasses the safety systems in your Climate Control system. This will more than likely cause a burst in an A/C line which will be at hundreds of pounds of pressure (PSI)

For all realistic needs I would leave the engine off during this clutch test. If you see and hear the clicking noise of the electric clutch I would guess 90% of the time your problem is elsewhere in the electrical circuit of the system (high/low pressure safety switches/connections/climate control head/relay in fuse box)

edit: And if the clutch appears to work I would then go first to your relay in your fuse box. You may also jump the A/C clutch here but it's not as "direct" of a connection here. Locate the A/C relay and jump electrical terminals 87 to 30. These are the direct connection terminals to your A/C clutch. Also - DO NOT RUN THE SYSTEM JUMPED HERE AS THE SAME SERIOUS RISKS APPLY (This will not tell you if your relay is faulty.)

If interested in performing these first tests let us know what happens and we'll go from there.

Hope this helps,

Alex
Ok I will try that and see what happens right now I have been more worried about the hot start problem I'm having . lol I will update