boxerfan, what exactly is R-modding?

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default boxerfan, what exactly is R-modding?

second question: what would be the effect of using the original spring with the 1.95 bar one you sent, with no other modifications except the already modded ecu?
I would have sent you a message off list, but i thought there might be others with the same question.
thanks
Old 01-28-2007, 07:47 AM
Lane Shark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have you read over Ben's site?

It should help you w/ some questions. Also SJM's site is very good.

R-mod:
<i>The Resistor Mod &amp; The Zener Mod:

These are very simple modifications, often considered a hack:

The zener mod forces the ECU to act as if it is only reaching 1.4 Bar of boost. This mod totally removes the fuel cut and thats all it does. It does not affect the ignition timing at low boost. The ECU will not see boost higher then 0.7-0.8 bar gauge pressure (not the dash display!!!).

The resistor mod forces the ECU to act as if it is seeing a lower boost than is actually being attained. Although it is somewhat safer than the zener modification, I no longer recommend it as the ideal way to increase the boost in 5000/200 turbocharged engines, especially since the QLCC chip is available so economically.</i>

Running w/ stock spring is fine, but Boxer's 2.0 spring is another performance upgrade.
You mentioned no other mods, have you starpped the intercooler or setup a BPV?<ul><li><a href="http://www.gtquattro.com/boostin.html">http://www.gtquattro.com/boostin.html</a</li></ul>
Old 01-28-2007, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: boxerfan, what exactly is R-modding?

The pressure transducer in the ECU outputs a voltage proportional to the pressure seen. If the output of the pressure transducer is modified this changes what the 'brain' of the ECU sees and fools it into thinking that you are running lower boost pressure than you actually are. Obviously this causes the ECU to look at the timing table differently since the value is skewed.

If you run both springs together you will hit the fuel cut which is set to 1.99 bar on the ECUs I have dialed in quite closely. By R-modding you can alter the location of the fuel cut by skewing the values the ECU sees.

I.E.: If you are running 2.2 max bar you want the ECU to shut the fuel off if something goes wrong like your diaphragm tears and boost is no longer controlled. An R-mod must be used to skew the voltage so that 2.2 bar looks like less than 1.99.

HTH