Dealer won't gimme the code

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer won't gimme the code

The dealer won't give me the code to my radio that i bought to replace the dead one that was in there in teh first place, because they said that since it's a replacement , they need the car it came from physically there to decode it, which is a bunch of BS, any other way to get the code? And please don't pour salt in my wound and say "well i got mine from the dealer no problem", if you did, then how about helping out a fellow audi lover. Thanks in advance

ryan
Old 01-27-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Check the TAGS on the radio itself

The replacement radio should have tags all over it. One of them has a large 4 digit number on it. That's the code. I know I had the same question and I looked for the largest 4-digit code on the thing and it turned out to be the right one.

This holds true for replacement Delta's & Gamma's I think.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Check the TAGS on the radio itself

I did that, the largest code on the radio is 9336. But the first number in the code is either a blank or a 1. Any thoughts?
Old 01-27-2005, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

did you try that code, substituting a "0" or "1" for the "9"? If that doesn't work, I'd ask where you bought the radio. If it came from an unknonw source, Audi will not give you the code for fear it might be stolen.

Howerver, there are a number of sources on the net that will get you the code for about $25.

just search on "radio codes"

good luck.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Dealer won't gimme the code

Some of the older Audi oem radios (note: some not all) after 1985 up till 2002 don't have a code for them. Instead they use what is called "smart coding" which uses the car's BCM to communicate with the radio. If the radio doesn't receive the correct VIN information from the BCM it will not work. I'm sure there is a way around this but that is most likely why the dealer needs the car it came out of to be present. If you try to install this type of radio in another Audi with a different BCM the radio will not work. My 1997 Audi CAB did not have this setup, it allowed you to enter a code, but Beware, it only give you three chances to enter in the right code or it locks up for good and then you have to take it to the dealer. The big advantage to this type of system is that if power is lost and then restored to the car the radio will always work without a code needed to be entered, provided it remains in the car it was intended for. HTH
Randolph
Old 01-27-2005, 03:03 PM

I bought the radio from Force5Auto up in new hampshire, i got the VIN # from the owner that matches the radio. But the dealer INSISTS that the car that it physically came from be there in order for them to give me the code. I've slaved over looking on the internet, the problem is no one can calculate the code....at all. Any help is appreciated guys. One last thing, where can i find the adapter type dealy thing so that i can hook up the factory CD changer to it?
Old 01-27-2005, 03:07 PM

Default For Randolph

Radios made by audi didn't start using "smart coding" until 1997. Radios before then use a code, the technology wasn't there or at least wasn't practical to issue a matching code. Plus the stereo in the audi doesn't communicate with a computer, it's just supplied power.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Go to VW dealer

After being quoted $75.00 for the code by Clair in Boston, I went to a VW dealer. He told me that it would normally be $25.00, but since I had it in my hand it would be free.

I have heard that VIN nonsense before, but the VW guy didn't ask for it. He just went online and then gave me the code.

I am pretty sure that radio was for my '90 100.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:37 PM

Default I thought I remember someone said to go to a VW dealer.

They'll hassle you less.
Old 01-27-2005, 03:38 PM

Oops, Tom beats me to it.

Quick Reply: Dealer won't gimme the code