Electrical Gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Gremlins

Most of the cars I've owned have never required a functioning trunk light nor a glove box light in order to run...In fact, they generally arrived from Detroit with those lights pre-burned out. But it would seem that's not the case with the '87' 5000cs of which I'm a proud owner.

At the present time I'm chasing several electrical gremlins throughout the car. My search began when the battery, which was new, would fail to keep a charge overnight. I was told by the local Audi dealer to check the above mentioned lights for shorts. I've managed to fix, I assume, the trunk light, and had for awhile the glove box lightworking ; but the latter has once again gone out on me. I discovered following acheck of the bulb on/off switch and the bulb socket, that they
are in OK. But still no light...and the wiring looks fine.

I have checked the relays and fuses and have found them to be fine...and still fine I hope.When pulling the relays, I inadvertantly discovered that by leaving out the number 6 relay the battery would hold it charge. SO, last night, having re-inserted the relay, thinking that fixing the trunk problems may have been the answer to all my concerns; I learned I was wrong...as the battery again was dead.

As the wiring harnesses look fine, I'm at a loss as to which way to turn. Since the local Audi dealer charges a fortune for this kind of thing, and given that I would like to begin doing my own maintainence, I need to know how to locate and solve the problem. I have the Bentley books, I should add, And while they are thorough they offer little in the way of a narrative and diagnostic help when it comes to electrics.

I would really appreciate any advice someone might have to help solve this dilemma
Old 06-11-2003, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Electrical Gremlins

If you have not checked the wires in the trunk where they enter the moving hinge, be sure to look at that very close and open the covering of the wire bundle to be sure. This is a common plac for the wires to break and short.
Looking at the trunk from the back they are near the speakers in the rear deck on the drivers side.

Tony
'91 100Q 5spd
Old 06-11-2003, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Buy a multimeter, then do the following...

Take a digital picture or a poloroid of the fuse box. Disconnect the battery. Pull all the fuses out of the fuse box, then hook up the multimeter in series between the ground cable and the battery. Then start plugging in each fuse one at a time and see what fuse causes a big jump in current flow. Which ever one causes the big jump is probably your short.

The only one that should cause a decent jump is the clock circuit, but take your time and you should be able to isolate the problem.

Good luck, electrical problems stink...
Old 06-12-2003, 05:08 PM

Default Re: Buy a multimeter, then do the following...

Thank you for the help...I got a bit side tracked today and opened up the drivers door and found 4 broken wires...speakers and mirror. Tomorrow I'll take your advise and check out the fuse box.

Thanks again
Glenn Scott
Old 06-12-2003, 05:21 PM

Default Re: Electrical Gremlins

Thanks for the help. The wiring bundles look fine, but as you have suggested, I'll unrap them and check more closely.

Glenn Scott