Hard Starting warm, sometimes cold??? Runs good

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Starting warm, sometimes cold??? Runs good

Yes I have searched and checked many things, most related to turbo versions. I have 84 NA 5000.

In morning starts fine, runs a little rough, idle 1000-1500 then stabalizes about 1200. Runs great after that.

warm at about noon after car sits at work from morning drive. Have to crank it quite a bit and hold throttle open to start, rev it a bit and then runs great. Same when leaving work.

Hot. stop for gas shut down, then starts right up.

After running for a while Hot. shut down for more than 1/2 hour less then 2 hours, starts easy but then dies immediately. Have to crank and hold throttle to start and holt throttle for about a minute and then runs great.

I first thought fuel pump check valve, but fuel pressures (holding, running) are OK.

Next warm up regulator, but seems to check out fine.

All other temp sensors seem to be OK.

CSV seems to check out as well.

I did find a main breather hose badly damaged (from top of valve cover to air filter box) replaced this seems to help in some conditions.

I thought injectors (I checked the spray pattern and all look perfect, maybe leaking but can't seem to find wet plugs and pressures seem fine (maybe not checking leaking right)

At a complete loss, have not changed anything yet other then breather hose. not sure what to tackle first. Car has around 100k miles.

Then as everything seem to start fine every morning, once in a while I have to crank and hold throttle if doesn't start, battery drains and out of luck until I charge up battery or jump it. During the loooonnngggg cranking session (time varies from time to time) it tries to kick on but sometimes doesn't until battery drains.

Would the car still run great after warmed up with leaky injectors???

Everything I have read on CIS fuel injection seems to point to various issues for each of the symtoms I have but not all the symtoms I have combined. Maybe I have multiple issues???

Might have vaccum leaks (old hoses) I will try to connect vaccum gage and see if it reads steady or irratic. Maybe change all the hosed this weekend as well.

Anyone have similar situation?
Old 07-11-2006, 10:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Hard Starting warm, sometimes cold??? Runs good

"I first thought fuel pump check valve, but fuel pressures (holding, running) are OK."

Does this mean that you've measured residual fuel pressure? If so, what numbers did you measure? FYI, the factory specs for residual fuel pressure in the WU engine are:

After 10 minutes: 2.6 bar (37.7 PSI) minimum
After 20 minutes: 2.4 bar (34.8 PSI) minimum

If your residual fuel pressure is less, I'd suspect that the fuel accumulator ist kaput.
Old 07-12-2006, 03:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You can test the injectors by pulling them out of their inserts...

and putting them in a plastic container. Power up the fuel pump then the fuel distributor by manually actuating the air metering plate with the ignition key in the 'on' position. Once fuel has flowed from the injectors, turn the ignition to 'off'. Empty the fuel that was pumped into the container. If any fuel returns to the container, you've got leaking injectors.

Did you check fuel system and control pressures? What were your values?
Old 07-12-2006, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Add a can of fuel injector cleaner to the fuel tank.........

use the good stuff, not the cheapie stuff. That usually cleared up the problems that you described.

You may want to replace the rubber "O" rings at the base of the injectors. After time they get hard and brittle, and leak some air into the combustion chamber causing starting problems as well.

I had the WU motor (same as yours) in an '84 VW Quantum. I no longer have the car. I still have several used Idle Stabler Valves and a warm up regulator that would fit your WU motor. I would like to find a home for these parts, and have someone get some use out of them, rather then just throwing them away. I would be glad to send them to you for shipping cost only. Interested? If so, drop me an email. Recruserv@aol.com.
Larry (Rooster2)
Old 07-12-2006, 07:51 AM

Default Re: You can test the injectors by pulling them out of their inserts...

I have put the injectors in a clear container and this showed the near perfect spray pattern, left them there for some time but saw no evidence of leaking. I did the pressure test some time ago and didn't write down the values but were within spec. I think I will retest this weekend and document them and see. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:56 AM

I don't remenber the actual pressure values I know they were within spec. although I did not leave them for 20 minutes just about 5 minutes. I did htis some time ago. This is an extra car that I just started driving again due to sale of my other car. Debating to sell it and get something newer or fix it an keep it for a while and save some $$. Before I stopped driving it I replaced the tires, steering rack, control arms, brakes. Hate to get rid of it and not enjoy the benefits of things repaired. I do nee to replace the subframe bushing. Thanks for your input I will retest all the fuel presures agian and document.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:59 AM

Default Re: Add a can of fuel injector cleaner to the fuel tank.........

I have used injector cleaners in the past with no results. I used the Chevron brand which I believe is a good one. Do you recommend anything else? I will do some retesting this weekend and let you know the results. I might take you up on those parts. I will let you know after my testing. Thanks for your input.
Old 07-12-2006, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Hmmm. Sounds like you've got your bases covered!
Old 07-12-2006, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

I would go back to the warm up regulator. I have found that this is one quirky dude and can cause all kinds of running problems + stalling. It is a mixture controller and you may be running a little lean.
Old 07-12-2006, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yes, Chevron Techron is an excellent injector cleaner.........

I have had very good success with it. Usually, my car started better either when cold or hot within 50 miles of adding the Chevron. An injector cleaner called TL-3 sold at AutoZone is another good product.

If I were you, I would replace those black rubber "O" rings at the base of the injectors. There is a special "L" shaped tool that can be purchased for about $7 or $8 that makes pulling the injectors out of the engine head an easy job. Lube new "O" rings with gasoline when reinstalling. "O" rings are cheap, total cost is less than $15. Takes about 15 minutes of work.

I must have about 5 each of the Idle Stablizer Valves for the WU motor. All I snared from wrecking yards over the years. I think all are good, but probably need some soaking and cleaning in solvent before using. Be happy to send them to you..... Larry