ignition problems!! please help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition problems!! please help.

ok, her goes....
2.2 5 cylinder runs great. Only once and a while just won't start, no fire. Let it sit for several hours and it will fire up fine. I believe it is ignition problem.
Last night it started up and about 1 second later it just shut off. wouldn't fire. cranked just great, no fire. this morning I tried to start it, I cranked it for 4 or 5 seconds, then stopped. tried it again and it fired up just fine.
I don't believe it is fuel, after ahile of cranking, it smells gasy.

I've replace the coil, and I'm thinking maybe the pickup coil in the dist. by the way, it has new plugs,wires, and cap.
Old 05-15-2002, 01:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The usual suspect is an intermittent short in the hall sender connector on the distributer.
Old 05-15-2002, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Agree, check the hall sender and wires
Old 05-15-2002, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Agree, check the hall sender and wires

I wouldn't want to argue with folks of obviously more knowledge, BUT I had a similar problem that ended when I installed a new fuel pump relay and multi sensor on the thermostat housing. How and which one did it? That's another set of questions. I'd try their Hall Sender suggestion first.
Old 05-16-2002, 04:46 AM

Default thanks,

Thanks, That was my next place to start. The wires for the connector at the distributor are none to long, they looked ok, but I'll test them. Thanks
Old 05-16-2002, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That's what makes this forum such a challenge to diagnose and to offer a correct solution...

to a persons Audi/VW problems, and we all know the multitude of problems that these cars can generate. One thing is for certain, the more info gathered from all sources the better, especially to rule out other potential causes.
I didn't consider it, but I agree a faulty fp relay could cause similar symptoms too, and that could or may still be a factor here.
My understanding of Mikes situation was that he seemed to have ruled out the fuel side of his problem, and, had already addressed/checked many of the components on the ignition side leaving only a few more ignition side possibilities.
As Steve J and I suggested, the hall sender and connector are very common problem areas, if ruled out, then you have the coil, the ignition control unit, and the harness, all of which are not so common a problem area.

The best way we all can learn and to help others is to continue doing what you just did; to keep on questioning, offering alternatives, and opening up the dialog.

Thanks,

Tom
Old 05-16-2002, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Run your fault codes...

If it's a hall sender, it should spit out code 2113...

Steve
Michigan
Old 05-16-2002, 08:00 AM

Default Re: I most certainly agree and thanks for saying it.

I agree and thank you for saying what you did. My experience on this was acquired at Denver AutoAudi Tech also known as a cold I-70 motel parking lot in Denver. He, he.
Old 05-16-2002, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Run your fault codes...

ok, How do you check fault codes on a Quantum? I have no idea, I don't remember the Chiltons manual saying anything about codes. I don't think the '85 has any more of a computer than the electronic ignition. Am I wrong?
Old 05-16-2002, 07:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I didn't know this was for a Quantum...

so disregard the code reading cause I have no idea if the Quantum has that capability...? I assumed your questioning was for a 2.2 liter MC engined 5000tq...

Steve
Michigan

Quick Reply: ignition problems!! please help.