looking at a semi cheap 200, guy says cooling system overpressureizes and springs leaks

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking at a semi cheap 200, guy says cooling system overpressureizes and springs leaks

1991 200 10vt auto

To me this screams head gasket, but... anyone want to hazzard some other explanation, or something i could check while looking the car over. I planned to make up a rad cap with a pressure gauge in it. Obviously look at the coolant and see if its really discolored, but any other ways i might check for a probably small headgasket leak that doesnt cause non-drivablility well other than the fact that the cooling system constantly springs leaks.

Thanks for any suggestions
Old 02-21-2006, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DANGER WILL ROBINSON... DANGER!

Yea... HG issue.

Other possibilities?

Cooling system leak large enough to allow the system not to pressurise... but not likely.

The cooling fan not running will also lead to a fairly quick boil over scenario with the car just idling. Just start it and watch for the cooling fan... if it does not come on check the fuses when the guy isn't looking... send him to look for reciepts of something... then check the fuse for the cooling fan and the wires at the resistor load pack.

Good luck.
Old 02-21-2006, 04:52 PM

Default LOL he's on this forum..

I was going to check out the car but it's an auto.. wanted $500 for it. its worth it if you can do the h/g yourself and dont mind the auto. it is fairly low miles like 105k
Old 02-21-2006, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL.... oh well...if it was just the fuse or load pack he'll be on that now...
Old 02-21-2006, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default some things to look for..........

when motor is getting hot, check for bubbles in the radiator over flow tank coolant. Also, check over flow tank to see if it has a distorted shape from previous over pressurization. Also, check the oil dipstick. If oil looks like foamy milk shake, then that means coolant is mixing with the motor oil. If you see any of the above, then you are seeing clear signs of a blown head gasket.

Also, I wonder if car was driven while motor was over heating. If so, the amount of time it was driven this way can warp the engine head, and score the piston cylinders.

You probably know this already, but still thought I would bring it to your attention. Be cautious with this car!!
Old 02-21-2006, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default naa, not the same car! this was a local listing

thanks for the suggestions yeah i knew to look at the oil and coolant for signs of mixture. After another email, he says the temp gauge isnt working, so he doesnt know if its actually overheated (mfts?) but doesnt the mfts also control fan on/off for low speed setting? my mfts was bad on my car but never did anything to the operation of the fan, the gauge just didnt work but i seem to remember it controling some fan operation also.

Where is a good place to measure water temp with an external sensor, like the little sensor that goes into my voltmeter? can i tape that to the upper rad hose to get a descent temp number? possibly do it on my car first and see what the temp says at normal operating temp?

I have a feeling this is going to be a bad head gasket, but i love these cars so i just gotta check it out.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 02-21-2006, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Cooling fan is not controlled by the MFTS

Three speeds.

Lowest controlled by turning the AC on.

Speeds 2 and 3 are controlled by the temp sensor on the bottom of the radiator just under the lower hose.
Old 02-21-2006, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: looking at a semi cheap 200, guy says cooling system overpressureizes and springs leaks

turn on the heater to HI and see if the system still overheats, could be a stuck thermostat, by turning the heater to HI you will bypass the thermostat and act like a mini radiator. Could be uncomfortable in the summer, but you should be ok in the winter until you get it fixed.

While the engine is hot check the radiator and see if it is also hot, this will confirm if the thermostat is stuck closed. Check both inlet and outlet hose of the radiator to see if you might have a clogged radiator.

If you have a radiator pressure tester pressurize the cooling system and check for leaks.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: naa, not the same car! this was a local listing

I'd place your DMM sensor by the one built into the rad.

The after run stuff is controlled by the heat shield near the WG.

Goooooooood luck... fingers crossed it's an easy one.

what about just trying to torque down the head?
Old 02-22-2006, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default well it was worse than owner described

It was sitting at a garage, and the owner said i could stop by and take a look, i figured since it was close i would just run by and see if it looked descent before i commited to meeting him over the weekend. I got down there and it was unlocked, so i hopped in, first thing i noticed was the button starter hanging under the dash, well i guess its got a bad ign switch. Hmm... the lights are also wired to a switch under the dash, err i think thats the lights anyway.

I opened the hood and there were some things wired directly to the pos terminal. the afterrun pump was busted and lines plugged, all the vacuum lines looked bad and the wastegate top vacuum line wasnt attached. there was a relay and various wiring that was added for i'm not sure what reason. i couldnt see any deformations in the coolant hoses or the tank, but there was also no coolant to be found, guess it leaked out. Oil was ok, not high on the dipstick or soupy, didnt taste or smell weird.

I pressed the stater button and it cranked over but didnt start, aparently it still needs the key to start.

Then someone came out to see what i was up to, they told me it for certian has a bad head gasket and the owner knows that...

but on the plus side, it has a nice set of tires on good condition bbs wheels, i need tires for the 5k, the car looked descent, the interior was nice, no rust, and suspension/brakes from what i could see looked good, and appeared to have new axles on it.

so i'll probably throw him a lowball offer, i'd bet it can be fixed and i have a ton of cooling system parts, though it will need a head gasket, timing belt, waterpump and ignition switch, and a number of vacuum lines at the bare minimum.

Think $300 would be a fair offer?

Paul

Quick Reply: looking at a semi cheap 200, guy says cooling system overpressureizes and springs leaks