Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Tech friend told me about a product called WHITE SHEPARD STOP LEAK.

Saw this at Napa for about 20 bucks. I had not heard of this, or tried it, but was told is good stuff, that the store always sells out of it.

Did a google search on it, and found the following :

"The White Shepherd Stop Leak & Conditioner is a new revolutionary product that has the remarkable ability to repair and seal leaks in power steering, engine oil pans, transmissions, differentials, rack & pinion steering, and even hydraulic systems. The White Shepherd contains no solid or particulate matter. It is non-clogging and will not harm your engine. Bonds to metal, aluminum, cast, alloy or plastic. The White Shepherd Stop Leak & Conditioner works on cars, trucks, vans or SUV's with gas or diesel engines, automatic transmissions, marine engines, grader, dozer hydraulic pumps, farm tractors and equipments. Contains 8 fl. oz.

Permanently Seals: Power Steering, Engine Oil Pan Leaks, Transmission Leaks, Differentials, Rack & Pinion Steering, Hydraulic Systems..."

Sounds as if your leak may be more than the norm, but who knows.
They have several products, so as usual....research before you buy.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

I agree with
"But for me, FIND the leak and fix it !

Then use the recommended fluid !!

But I am using it, Lucus, right now in my 5K. It slowed a leak so I only need to top off about once a month. It works, It's very thick. I don't know whats it's going to be like when the temp gets to -25 F. If the leak was in the V8 I'd fix it the right way.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

Our recommended Pentosin sucks. It can't handle heat and really thins out. A more proper oil may be synthetic ATF or MV22 or AW32 hydraulic oils. MV22 will be thinner than AW32, I'd have to look at my temperature chart at work to see if it would be okay in hotter conditions though.

I'll probably rebuild the pump on my PT before it gets dropped into the CQ, and then use synth. ATF. A few have done this with good success. Lower oil temps, pump doesn't seem to starve in aggressive driving (track/auto-x), etc.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

How can I do it? Have you done it before? The Technician said I neeed to replace the pump. It's really expensive.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bentley for the 89-91 200s has a great write-up on pump rebuilding. You can get a seal kit for about $7 that has everything you need for resealing. You need a 1/2" drive drag link socket with the ends of the blade rounded slightly to fit the mushroom caps on the front of the pump and a press to replace the nose seal. If the nose seal ain't leaking, you don't need the press.

Search this website for pump resealing and you'll find where I have posted the procedure from the Bentley manual.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Buy a pump and install it yourself. Search the net. $250 at Advance Auto, with a lifetime warranty.

Install is not that difficult. Drain Reservoir. Loosen/remove belt and hoses. Remove bracket bolt. Reassemble with new pump. Refill with proper fluid. Start car with reservoir cap off, and turn wheel back and forth to purge air from system. Top up fluid to Full mark.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I went to a store and replaced the pump. It took me $530. They said everything is perfect but I still found some leakage. I call them yesterday and they told me they could checked it next week. Hopefully everything is fine. Thanks for your guys suggestion.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Jon Clay
I've been doing a little research on Lucas's power steering stop leak stuff and still can't decided whether or not to use it in my car.

So tell me what you guys think. This could be a nice solution to all of Audi's Power Steering issues.

Thanks!
I have a gaping leak in the PS rack on the '90 A200T I have. The car has only 91k mile so its a shame to replace, I used 100% Lucas stop leak until it was needed very infrequently. At this point the steering was very heavy on a cold start, if it hadn't been used in a few days. So bad I stopped the stop-leak for the Lucas PS conditioning which again leaks but at least I can steer.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Reply from Lucas Oil re: Stop Leak. Not compatible

Zero,
Thanks for looking to Lucas for lubrication solutions and I'm glad you got in touch for more information. That system uses a synthetic mineral oil and our products are not compatible. It's difficult to get all the technical information to every customer and technician but for now I'm glad I have been able to get this important information to you.
Best regards,
John Mingus - Lucas Oil

Original question:
I have a 2005 Audi A4 Quattro with power steering noise. I've had it looked at and the mechanic has found no leaks in the system. He has recommended Lucas Power steering additive, however, with Audi using mineral based PS fluid, I'm concerned with additives having a negative effect on the PS system. Can you give some guidance on which product to use and if Lucas products have ill effects on Audi?
Old 02-27-2013, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Many people, myself included, have used Mobil 1 ATF in the V8's hydraulic system and it at least slowed the leaks if not stopped them, without thickening the oil and causing bad steering. I run Mobil DTE 13M(now called DTE 10 excel 32 for some reason) in both my nice cars since a 5 gallon bucket is $80. It's a hair thicker, but didn't notice any issues when it hit 15 degrees recently......have noticed it up high when it's minus, but it still drove fine, just a bit wierd when stone cold. The Mobil 1 I put in the Pearl car that I sold, but is still being driven has no ps leaks anymore....Ha. Give it a try. Tom

Quick Reply: Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak