Major missfire idling-poor acceleration help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2002, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major missfire idling-poor acceleration help please

I have a 90 AUDI V8 and this problem is going to drive me insane. While idling the car will missfire, sputter and pretty much run like crap. Beyond that while accelerating the car will start to chug and has great trouble climbing any kind of hill. I have replaced the fuel filter and the idle controll valve (accordig to the codes the car was giving). Now I am getting the code:

Oxygen Sensor Signal (voltage) is not changing up and down, (Shown for ABH Engine Only)
Signal shorted to ground or to +12V,
Fuse #5 blown, O2 Sensor heating element not working, Ground problem between ECU pin 10 and engine block, fuel pressure too low or too high, intake or exhaust system leak, defective ignition system component, intake air leak after air mass sensor, O2 sensor is faulty
Overly rich exhaust, Spark Plug fouling.

So now I am stuck. The gentleman that I purchased the car from told me that the car was in storage for a year before I bought it. I am not sure if that has anything to do with this poor performance.

Any kind of help would be appreciated.
Old 08-04-2002, 11:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Most likely, a bad O2 sensor or O2 wires broken...

check the sensor(s) for broken wires...

If the sensor is bad or "slow" it will not allow the ECU to change the mixture on the fly. Therefore your car is probably running extra rich...?

So anyways check the following also:
fuse #5. Is it blown like the code suggested?

ECU ground

Plugs, plug wires, rotor and caps. HAVE ANY OF THEM BEEN CHANGED RECENTLY? If not, it could be as simple as bad ignition components!

Check for vacum leaks...

Good luck!
Steve
Michigan
Old 08-05-2002, 09:10 AM

Default Here's a link for trouble shooting assistance.

The link below should give you enough technical assistance to zero in on your problem more. It sounds similar to a problem posted a few days ago where the ECU ground was found to be poorly connected. Or maybe it is a case of the O2 sensor failure as Steve says and isn't there two of them on your car?. You will likely need some electronics testing tools or a trusted shop. Good luck!
http://www.SJMAutotechnik.com
Old 08-05-2002, 09:38 PM

Default Brought it to dealer....

I took the car into the dealer today and they told me that the problem was the MAS, they told me that it was giving a solid 2.0 at idle (when it was supposed to give something like a 1.5) and when throttle was applied the reading was OL (out of limits). So I am hoping that the problem is just that. Though it is extremely expensive to replace...

The O2 sensor was recently replaced and so were the rotors.
Old 08-06-2002, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: One thought

I can't get over the fact that the car is spitting oxygen sensor fault codes. By any chance did you splice the new OX sensor in and short the heater to the sensor?
Old 08-06-2002, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default You may have a combination of problems

..since the car was in storage for a while. First try replacing the usual suspects - plugs, leads, rotors and rotor cap, etc. These items should probably be done anyway if the car has been sitting.
Old 08-07-2002, 06:05 PM

Default O2 sensor

The previous owner replaced the O2 sensor about a year ago this month. And he had it done at the AUDI dealer.

Just got the MAF today and installed it, made no difference whatsoever so I am going to return it and keep on searching.
Old 08-10-2002, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Major missfire idling-poor acceleration help please

If you have a 1990 V8 then your engine in not ABH, but PT. Check the plugs and see if they are really fouled. Is the car running rich or lean? Your plugs will tell you if either situation is occuring. Since the error code is refering to O2 sensor then I would replaced this sensor. Even though the sensor is only one year old it could have been containated which will shorten the life of the sensor.
Old 08-19-2002, 03:22 AM

Default Re: Timing maybe?

I was looking into the service records that the previous owner had and I noticed that at one trip to the dealer to get the cap and rotor replaced was odd, they only replaced one cap and rotor. I am wondering if the timing was adjusted from just one rotor and maybe they are no longer synchronized. I do not have the CD rom manual for this car so I am not sure how to check base timing or how to adjust the timing due to having 2 rotors.
Old 08-22-2002, 02:39 PM

Default engine speed sensor...

I had the dealer look up the codes and they determined that the problem was the engine speed sensor. So I changed it and nothing has changed. Car will still not start periodically, idles between 200rpm and 1000 rpm. And when under any kind of load the car still chugs and seems to have a missfire. I replaced the caps, rotors, plugs, ISV, and now the engine speed sensor with the same problem still occuring.

Any help at this point would be great.