Rebuilding distributor

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rebuilding distributor

I removed my car's (1984 5000S) distributor yesterday, with a view to replacing its vacuum advance unit ($20 from a Worldpac distributor). I thought, "How hard can this be? I'll have this done in an hour or so."

I removed the tiny snap ring and then tried to pry the (aluminum, I guess) reluctor with 5 windows off of the shaft by prying the reluctor with a couple screwdrivers. No luck -- it wouldn't budge, even with Liquid Wrench. It became obvious that if I kept prying, I would bend/warp the reluctor beyond repair. I sheepishly reassembled the distributor, crossed my fingers, and the engine ran fine.

My plan now is to buy ($20) a distributor that's fitted with a vacuum advance unit from a junkyard, play with it, and use it as a core for a distributor that I rebuild at my leisure. Then I'll swap distributors.

Questions:

Must I remove the reluctor to remove and replace the vacuum advance unit?

Is there a "trick" to removing the reluctor without destroying it?

Do these distributors need to have their bushings replaced during a refurb? Or do their bushings last forever? (After 134,000 miles, mine seems fine.)
Old 07-12-2003, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: Rebuilding distributor

I tried to get mine apart too with no luck the wire to the hall sensor broke on my 85 avant (It was a patch up job I don't want my name on). There must be some trick to disassembly. Unfortunately Bentley doesn't seem to go into detail with unit repair.
Old 07-12-2003, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I didn't get any further either!
Old 07-12-2003, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The vacuum diaphragm unit may be replaced without removing the reluctor

Today I bought ($25) a used 1984 5000S distributor from a local junkyard and replaced its vacuum diaphragm unit ($20 new). It took quite a few tries, as there's no way to see the parts that need to hook together, but it's doable.

Q: Is it true that Audi dealers charge about $700 for new 5 cylinder distributors?! What are they smoking?
Old 07-13-2003, 04:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Hey, good going Russ

Great job, now you're set to finish up the vacuum hose re-routing. Someday i'll have to try and fix mine too.

I've seen rebuilt units go for $200+ so I suppose a new one at the dealer would run $700. But who knows, for that amt. you probably get a new cap and rotor too :-)
Old 07-13-2003, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default We can repair your vacuum advance next, Tom

I bought the used distributor from M&L Parts (near UPI), and I didn't even need to remove it from a hulk. They had pulled it four years ago and had it on the shelf. Its vacuum diaphragm was (of course) shot, but other than that it looks good and was marked "'84 5000S".

There are two small screws that fasten the curved flange of the vacuum advance unit to the body of the distributor. Remove these two screws and remove the old vacuum advance unit. In the distributor body, there's an open oblong window through which the vacuum advance unit's operating arm projects. One needs to fit the operating arm of the new vacuum advance unit through this window and hook it on to a pin on the moveable plate on which the Hall effect sensor is mounted.

Let's find a used distributor for you, refurb it, and you can either use it while you refurb yours, or vise-versa.

I can't believe that my car has had no way of varying spark advance in response to demand for all these years. Shows what happens when we turn the maintenance of our cars over to a shop! (My friend Tom says, "Most mechanics think that their job is to replace parts, not maintain cars.") I'm hoping that adding vacuum advance will increase fuel mileage and driveability.
Old 07-13-2003, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'm thinking of making it down to UPI this week

possibly Tue., anything new worth looking at?

I actually did remove those two screws from the vacuum unit but was unable to figure how to release the lever from inside the dist. so I just tightened it all back up and left well enough alone.
I think you will be able to "see & feel" some improvements, but I'm sure your engine will appreciate it. I know my cold start stumble is due to a lack of advance.

I agree with your other friend Tom. I have to believe the dealer service departments are quite posssibly the worst offenders, they certainly have reduced maintenance down to a production science.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Slim pickings last week

Once you have the new vacuum advance unit in your hand, and the two screws removed from your distributor, you'll see how the unit attaches to the distributor. It just slips off, but is much harder to attach than to remove.

UPI crushed the creme colored '84. The only 5k there now is an '85 that's your car's color and rough. For some reason there are lots of decent Volvos "in stock" at the moment.

M&L Parts, which is nearby, had two ordinary 85/86 5k NAs. When last I was there (3 months ago) they had two turbos, but they've been crushed.

I'm still looking for a good set of trim pieces between front bumper cover and headlights.

I need to obtain a gasket at the base of the distributor before trying the refurbed distributor in my engine. Maybe I'll do this tomorrow.

When you come down, wanna visit U-Pick in Miami (3 5ks last week) , and maybe hunt for another yard that I heard about in Miami?
Old 07-13-2003, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That sounds good, I'm game

Can you buy those gaskets locally?
I can be down at your shop by 8-8:30 for an early start, is Tue. ok?
Old 07-13-2003, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yer on - tentatively

I think that I have a dentist appointment this week, but I can't find Mark's appointment card.. I'll call his office tomorrow to confirm its date/time. (I think that it's Thursday, but I wanna make sure.) I just wanna make sure that it's not for Tuesday. He planned to be out of town a bit, but I think that he returns this week . . .or is it next week?? Will email or call you to confirm.

Yes, I can buy the distributor base gaskets locally. With luck, they'll be in stock; otherwise delivery will be Tuesday. They're cheap (since they're not thru Audi dealer network): about ten cents each. I'll order 5 or 6.

A comparable gasket from Champion Audi is about $5.00. But of course they're justified -- ever wonder how much it costs for Champion to field their race team?

Do you want me to order a vacuum advance unit for you (abt $20)? Order in AM and pickup in PM. Or maybe you can set up an account with J.

Quick Reply: Rebuilding distributor