someone talk me out of selling my 5k

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2002, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default someone talk me out of selling my 5k

im having a hard time trying to decide if i should keep it, or sell it to help "PROJECT 16v"
( rebuilding a 16v all-motor engine with some pricey internals )
my audi is an 87 5k automatic with 95k miles almost perfect paint, no rust, smooth engine + tranny , brand new H rated Goodyear GT performance touring tires, near perfect interior, new brake master Cyl. no valve ticking, new struts/mounts/bearings fuel filter.new window motor, air filter, plugs, cap, rotor, kenwood 40X4 deck. JBL front spkrs. this week i will put a new BOMB , ps pump and fuel pump in it
i'd sell it for $2500 after everythings done, if i decide to keep it i will go for a magnaflow exh. and a manual tranny conv.
is that a fair asking price? you can see pics in my photo album .
Old 04-22-2002, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I say keep it...

but there's this guy who's trying to sell a 100 that's the same color as your car BUT has 228K miles! ANd the price...a cool 3500!!! Keep it and do a manual tranny conversion..it's what I plan to do with my navy Audi after getting a 20v with KKK-26 turbo (if it's possible)...oh the dream of smoking ricers on a regular basis lol
Old 04-22-2002, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default im just so confused....

i cant seem to pick apart enough pros and cons of the audi and the project car to make any kind of decision, i feel like my audi's tranny is going to wimp out and it just has no power, if i could only find a manual tranny car in utah that i could drive to help my decision, i keep seeing a lot of sexy coupe quattros and 90's that would be killer, and anyway, mine is 2wd . but im gonna step back for a few and think it through, do some math, and see what happens . I STILL DONT KNOW HOW TO CHECK CODES WITH THE CLIMATE CONTROL or even with a scanner, i mean, wheres the harness you hook it to? thanks guys.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:28 PM

Default Re: im just so confused....

FWD is not so bad. Every vehicle I've owned is front wheel with the exception of the audi. Considering what you've already done to it plus the new bomb and pumps you are installing I'd consider keeping it. Especially if you can find a manual trans to throw in there.
Old 04-22-2002, 07:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Contrary to popular belief.... Honda's are slow

2wd + new found torque of a manual tranny = crazier torque steer than i already have , i think?

HEY! how do you remove the front bumper ?

rice burners always get burned by germans
Old 04-22-2002, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: im just so confused....

if yours is the same as my 90.. to pull engine codes... open up the fuse box and put a spare fuse (any amp rating) in the relay with a thing in the top that you can stick a fuse in it (this is the fuel relay).. keep it in for atleast 5 secs and pull it out

come back in the car and the check engine light should be blinking, it will stay on a long time once which means its starting a new code

it'll blink out a number and pause, and repeat this 3 more times and will give you a 4 digit code

4444 means theres no codes...

on mine you do the whole proccess over again (with the fuse and all) to read codes from the other system, one is fuel one is injection (if i'm not mistaken)

click the link for the climate control stuff<ul><li><a href="http://www.intendedacceleration.com/html/tip_12.html">climate control voltmeter and other neat stuff</a></li></ul>
Old 04-22-2002, 08:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default oh, and another thing....

Any more info on your "project 16v?"
If I were you.. I would keep the 5000 for a daily driver/cruiser, and have your project car on the side.. that would allow you to do some serious mods on it like stripping it down to save on weight.. and rollcage and all of that stuff (if thats appropriate for what you're doing).

That's what I'd do, anyway.
Old 04-23-2002, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default thanks for the info, thats a cool link.

ive been thinking about that, but being 16 i cant afford to insure 2 cars , thats the way i think would work best though, project 16v is my 16v 1.8 gti engine that will be bored out with forged pistons, rods and chrome rings , heavy duty valves and valve springs and get everything balanced in the engine, lightweight flywheel, ported annd polished with a schrick 268 cam and a header from TT
hopefully it will make about 180 hp when its all done then i just need to find a golf/gti or rabbit gti chassis to put it in, there will be some extreme interior changes , the outside will be pewter with tinted windows 16" BBS wheels, 2.5" exhaust , i want it to look better than stock, but all around make it a sleeper.
Old 04-23-2002, 07:42 AM

Default i'm the heretic: sell it. if you want to put work in an audi, get a turbo/manual car to start with.

sounds like a nice daily driver though and a good utility car for somebody.
Old 04-23-2002, 08:44 AM

Default Removing front bumper

Two Allen bolts, and unplug the lights as you get room for your hand &amp; arm. One person job. Install is the same, but you have to simultaneously line up all the plastic ducts &amp; fasteners that came apart when removing. I've done it alone, but....

Scott Miller
Holland, MI
'90 200qa

Quick Reply: someone talk me out of selling my 5k