Steering Rack

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering Rack

The same vehicle I have been posting about earlier...has this noise with the steering wheel that sounds like a light "clank" when turning.

The seller told me I can still drive it "as-is" and will need to have the steering rack replaced if I want the noise to go away.

What would this replacement entail and how much? I am hoping it could be something that needs to be lubed because the seller was not sure himself.

Any help or insight on this matter would be appreciated. Thanks! =)
Old 02-03-2008, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Check here on SJM's site for some info on the steering rack pre-load settings...

may help and it's cheap, easy and free to try this!

Bookmark Scott's site for more info on repairs and diagnostics, big help!<ul><li><a href="http://www.sjmautotechnik.com/trouble_shooting/susp.html#steerplay">SJM preload</a></li></ul>
Old 02-03-2008, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The preload is probably the answer but this may be a long shot in the dark...

I thought that I had a bad rack, a preload issue or bad front end control arm bushings as well since over bumps I was experiencing a clank in my steering wheel. Turns out it was the air bag mounted on the wheel. It is a heavy peice and serves as the horn pad as well. The springs supporting the pad off of the horn connections in the wheel do not support the whole pad well. It jiggles and clanks around a bit over bumps. Didn't find this out until I bought a CAC steering wheel sans Air Bag. The preceved clanking around over bumps and loose steering and suspension are all but gone now. If your car has an airbag this may be your issue and if so adjusting your steering preload will make the car drive incorrectly. A good sign of needing a new rack is if you see oil leaks on the rack.....but like I said this is a real long shot in the dark. Just thought that I might mention it as it saved me a lot of headache chasing things around that i didn't need to since my rack was not leaking.