Strange (?) 'No Start' condition - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange (?) 'No Start' condition - Help!

Hi All;
Here's the situation. I replaced the water pump and timing belt on my '86 5000 2.2L Turbo (MC) and when finished, it started right up and idled fine (pleasantly smug!). However, there was some 'ticking/clattering' noise, and after 1-2 minutes idling, I turned it off WITH THE KEY!! Since the car had been sitting for a month, I thought that might be the lifters low on oil, (although the noise was somewhat louder than I would have expected). When I returned when a stethoscope, she would NOT START! Cranks fine, but no start.
I then noticed that I could not hear the elect fuel pump pre-pressurizing the line so changed the fuel pump relay - still no 'buzz' with key 'on'. Then hot wired the FP directly, pump buzzing merrily (thankfully). Loosened the banjo fitting downstream (output) on the fuel filter, with fuel spraying out with good pressure. Re-connected fuel line - still no start.
Then double checked the timing marks (flywheel/cam gear dot/distributor notch) and all seems fine, set as per Bentley. Then removed the high tension lead from the center of the distributor and held it next to the head, what do you know, no spark. But, should it arc to the alloy head?
Did a fault code 'blink-blink' test and got blink fault 2113 ("VAG 1551/2 Fault code No. 00515 Hall sender in distributor Distributor alignment, faultly sender, Mis-located sensor and distributor" as per SJM Autotechnik web site) But distributor wasn't removed, and Hall sender wasn't touched. And since it was running prior to turning it off - what gives??
I'm having difficulty finding what connection, if any, there is to these symptoms. Or am I just fortunate to have multipe/concurent failures?
Anyways, whats next?
Any Help?
Old 05-15-2008, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

New Dizzy time.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:27 PM
Banned

Default had a VERY similar problem, take the dizzy cap off, and look at the wires comming from the plug to

the hall sender. See if any of them are rubbed/melted through. Mine were, i just wrapped them separately with some electrical tape, and had no more ignition problems...
Old 05-16-2008, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default One thing to look at is the MAF (at least it's called that on an A4). I had a no start...

after I did my 87 5000 cs turbo timing belt, etc. and took me forever to figure out that my MAF sensor (the sensor that plugs into your intercooler by the Michelin Man hose) wasn't hooked up. Not saying that's your problem, but it's an easy fix if not hooked up. Just trying to help.