AAN swap into a B3 90q... make sure I'm on the right track...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 03:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AAN swap into a B3 90q... make sure I'm on the right track...

Ok... just want to make sure I'm on the right track before I go spend a bunch of money on this stuff...

AAN is coming out of the S4, and going into my B3 90q. Early build... incase that matters. Retaining the AAN fuel/ignition for now.

The two important parts to me right now:

1. Planning to convert to v-belt on the front using a 7A crank pulley... this allows me to run the older style of alternator... which I have several spares for. I do believe this is as simple as swapping all the associated bracketry from the NG to the AAN block. Correct?

2. Flywheel... planning to install a 7A flywheel and clutch/PP. This gets me the TDC pin and 135-tooth ring which the AAN needs, and still allows me to use the stock transmission in the 90q. Correct? Does the 034 lightened flywheel for the 7A engine accomplish this? (have a line on one).
<a href="http://www.034motorsport.com/product_info.php?products_id=285">034 catalog link</a>

Other details...

A/C is being deleted. Don't need it... this is a rally beater with potential for a performance car. And with the gutted interior, I'm not worried about A/C. I'd rather cruise with the windows down.

Power steering... pretty much sure I'm switching to electric (via Toyota MR2 electric pump)... unless I can run the stock NG P/S setup on the AAN block... didn't think I could.

Intake manifold is remaining AAN for now... so rad will be rotated and tilted as required. Planning on custom ducting to ensure airflow.

Yes... many other details to figure out... intercooler, piping, exhaust... all stuff I'm prepared to fabricate. Big thing to me... I need to know answers to the first two questions.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default get in contact with Keegan, he can offer valuable first-hand experience. >>>

I believe Keeg had the crank pulley shaved down by one belt width. I'm fairly sure he had to do this in order to clear that MASSIVE FMIC he's using; whether or not you'll find this necessary I can't say.

Something happened with the PS pump, but I can't recall exactly what. I know Keeg had to fab a custom bracket. But I know it is possible to retain the original pump.

You might also be well advised to rip out the ABS (dunno if you'll want that for racing).. Taking out that whole mess of plumbing opens up quite a bit of room behind where you'll need to wedge the radiator. Removing this system also helps save weight ;-)

Good luck with your project Doug! You'll have a wicked race car when finished. With all the talk of engine swaps lately, and some even coming to completion, I'm getting really antsy to dive into my V8 transplant.
Old 04-10-2007, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

ABS is already long gone. Got Keegan's contact info?
Old 04-10-2007, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default email --> . Also Audilard just finished his conversion, so he'd be another good local source

of info.

Keeg= keeg _ quattro AT hotmail DOT com
Old 04-10-2007, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I've got the 3b in my '88 90Q. I used most of the 90Q brackets, but for the flywheel....

the flyweel, you can use the 7A unit but i believe it weighs more than the 3b(3b won't work) and the urS4(urS4 will work). I would definitely upgrade the clutch, but keep in mind the urS4 has the dual mass so you can't just use the s4 clutch unless you are using the s4 flywheel. But as far as tranny compatibility and timing, the complete 7A or the complete urS4 assembly will work.

I'm using a lightweight Aluminum Flywheel designed for the urS4 with a 4 puck race clutch, but the design is ironically the opposite of the stock urS4(sprung disk and solid flywheel instead of dual mass.)

Also, if you are interested, I have set up the A/C in my 90 with all original 3b/NG parts with a custom compressor bracket and a whole lot of imagination...
Old 04-11-2007, 09:43 AM

Default Answers... 1. yes, it all swaps over. and 2. Yep, all the 7a stuff works..

any other questions... shoot me an email
Old 04-11-2007, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default did he go with an MR2 electric power steering pump? thats what im doing....

and already have stuff to convert to vaccuum brakes... 1 belt, for the alternator, love it.
Old 04-11-2007, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default someone on here has a custom brass radiator which is shorter....

Ill probably just tilt mine back, im getting measurements for a honda/acura racing radiator which looks to be similar in size, if it fits (I will do custom hose connections if necessary but it looks like they may be close to the right place) im sure is better than the stock unit and 1/2 the price of direct fit high performance units.
plus I think afterm,arket electric fans built for the application will bolt right to it.<ul><li><a href="http://www.full-race.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=76">Honda Radiator</a></li></ul>
Old 04-11-2007, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

ygm.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:18 PM

nah, im using stock pump w/v-belt and custom bracket