Audi 80 2.0E Engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2023, 10:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi 80 2.0E Engine issues

Hello everyone and thanks for taking your time reading!

I got an Audi 80 2.0E from 1994 in excellent condition the other year that is my daily driver. This winter it failed after about 15km in -25C degrees when my partner drove it. On inspection I found oil mixed with the coolant. No other issues visible. No coolant in the oil and still quite some oil on the dipstick. It originally had a hard time to start after that incident but then when temps got better it started up and sounded fine engine wise.

So my friend who is better with cars than me thought it might be the head gasket but upon disembly it actually looked alright and even tho it looked like a new one will not hurt there where no clear damage to it showing any signs of the different channels of oil and cooland mixing. We can not see any cracks in either the block or the head. Compression on the cylinders where between 7,5-9 and that is within the manufacturers limits.

We now either put it all together with new seals and hope for the best or keep on investigating.

Do you have any clues for what I could keep investigating and check before putting it all together? Sending the head to a maschine workshop for further investigation is a possability but also a pricy one.. Have I missed something?

Many thanks!!
Old 06-04-2023, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jopez
Hello everyone and thanks for taking your time reading!

I got an Audi 80 2.0E from 1994 in excellent condition the other year that is my daily driver. This winter it failed after about 15km in -25C degrees when my partner drove it. On inspection I found oil mixed with the coolant. No other issues visible. No coolant in the oil and still quite some oil on the dipstick. It originally had a hard time to start after that incident but then when temps got better it started up and sounded fine engine wise.

So my friend who is better with cars than me thought it might be the head gasket but upon disembly it actually looked alright and even tho it looked like a new one will not hurt there where no clear damage to it showing any signs of the different channels of oil and cooland mixing. We can not see any cracks in either the block or the head. Compression on the cylinders where between 7,5-9 and that is within the manufacturers limits.

We now either put it all together with new seals and hope for the best or keep on investigating.

Do you have any clues for what I could keep investigating and check before putting it all together? Sending the head to a maschine workshop for further investigation is a possability but also a pricy one.. Have I missed something?

Many thanks!!
Does it have an oil cooler?