cleaning headlight/foglight glass

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default cleaning headlight/foglight glass

searching shows nothing so apparently it hasn't been talked about?
I have seen articles about using rubbing alcohol to clean the film off from the inside of lenses. has anybody ever tried this?
it sounds like it would work without leaving a film or spots which would make for halo's.
My headlights are fairly clear of haze but my factory fogs are looking pretty rough.
even with stock bulbs the light coming from my fogs is pretty dull looking.
I was looking to upgrade to narva rangepower +50 H1's but if the lenses are too hazed I won't gain all that much light.
Old 01-19-2006, 04:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There is a company called NicSand which makes...

a couple different products, but the one you are looking for is a headlight glass resurfacer. They are little pads that slip over a drill bit disc thats provided and you polish and remove the imperfections, haze, pits etc with this. each box has liek 6 pads in it and the cost at AutoZone is like $10 for the setup.

Check it out... I have used the Auto Glass one for taking pits and wiper scratches out of my windshield
Old 01-19-2006, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default what about the inside?

is'nt that where the haze is? if somebody can get a buffer pad through the light hole i'd like to see that....lol
Old 01-19-2006, 05:01 PM

Default the inside should be immaculate if the seals were working. the bulbs are sealed units so the only

thing in there should be air

if you have crap on the inside perhaps the orings on the bulbs aren't sealing up right and are allowing moisture in? Im not sure how else you would get anything on the inside. But I do know contaminents and other things are depostied on the surface of the glass on the outside, along with all the other crap and that is what these are for.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

crushed eggshells and water
Old 01-19-2006, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default maybe the heating and cooling of the air?

it seems to look like the film is on the inside. just like soap scum you have air with moisture in it even though you have a sealed beam and gasket on the bulb there has to be atleast a factory pinhole or the pressure of the heated air would blow it up.
the heating and cooling of air over time mixed with impurities in the air and moisture gives you that soap scum deposit.
I am sure the elements work pretty hard on the outside glass as well but you notice your windshield doesnt get a haze because its in the open.
to a certain degree the inside is like a light fixture, cools in winter, hot in summer but not as hot and not as drastic of temp changes.

its interesting though and probably alittle of all the above.
I might have to fool around with the one spare and see what I can do for a test.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:04 AM

Default which units are these? can you just remove the glass from it, service it and

replace? make your life a lot easier... i know on my RS2's I can take the glass right off with the removal of some clips.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default OE hella fogs look like their one unit from what I have seen

glass and housing are sealed as one.

they could use some glass polish though from all the crap flying off the road for years.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:50 AM

Default maybe this will be a pain in the *** but it would solve the problem....

I know from my father being an electrical engineer... they make very long stem "q tips" for electronic cleaning/work. Can find them at Radio Shack.... could use those with glass cleaner to wipe down the inside :P HAHA