Lifter noise question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2002, 10:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter noise question...

I have noisy lifters on my 89 audi 80 (4-cyl) and my oil level appears to be fine. I remember reading that this is common on these cars and that if it stops above 2000rpm's that it is okay. Well on my car sometimes it stops above 2000rpm's and sometimes it is still audible. I guess what I'd like to know is how serious this problem can be. I only plan on keeping the car for another year so I don't want to spend too much more on it than I already have.

I actually also have another question. Recently my car started this wacky behavior where it won't start up on the first try. It used to start up perfectly with very little effort, but now it seems to have some issues getting up and running. It now takes two or three trys before it will actually run, and when it does start running the car/engine will shake while idleing at about 500rpm's then jump up to 2000rpm's then settle back down at about 1000rpm's. I've notice that this happens when the car has been sitting for a while, usually overnight. Can anyone offer some insight into what could be causing this? Thanks.
Old 07-28-2002, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: how many miles are on the car?

The rough start and idle could be many things, but most commonly they develop vac leaks, or the fuel injectors go bad. Does this problem go away as the car warms up? or does it stay pertty constant? Your O2 sensor could be going bad as well.
Old 07-28-2002, 12:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: how many miles are on the car?

well I have about 148,000 miles on the clock. I just had the O2 sensor changed a few months ago so it would pass emissions. I also had a vac hose changed at the same time as the O2 sensor. Once the car is warmed up it runs fine with no idle problems. It only seems to have problems starting when I start the car for the first time for that day. If it is the fuel injectors can this end up being exspensive? Also I noticed when it doesn't start up right away there is a slight smell of gas.
Old 07-28-2002, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: hmmmm....

are has your gas mileage gotten worse? with that many miles on that old of a car its highly possible that you have a rusty fule line that is beginning to leak. do you work on your own cars much?
Old 07-28-2002, 07:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: hmmmm....

No all the work has been done by a mechanic. Before I got the car I was told the the fuel system was replaced. I dunno maybe I should just get a new car now but I kinda want to wait till next spring. I am probly going to take it to the mechanic this week anyways.
Old 07-30-2002, 08:52 PM
liz

As for the starting problem it sounds like a blown head gasket, this will do that.
Old 07-30-2002, 10:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was told that the head gasket is leaking oil (which I can see). Does this mean it's totally gone?
Old 07-31-2002, 06:49 AM
liz

Default It is causing your starting and idle problems and will continue to get worse. If you replace them..

also change the valley pan gasket under the two head gaskets, if your car is a V6. (It has two head gaskets. I would do them both. Valley pan gasket is in the V of the engine. It probably leaks too.) If you let it go and your car is already hard to start then it's pretty bad and at some point it won't start.
Old 07-31-2002, 10:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

So I will replace the head gasket. I have a 4-cyl. How much should I exspect from a mechanic?
Old 08-02-2002, 07:19 AM
liz

A 4 cylinder? What kind of car is it? I thought these cars were all 5 or 6.

Quick Reply: Lifter noise question...