The power windows and sunroof are acting up on me! I think it may be a relay...

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2001, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The power windows and sunroof are acting up on me! I think it may be a relay...

Sometimes when I start the engine, the windows and sunroof seem like they don't get any power to them! After the car runs for a while, the red lights come on and all is well - they'll work fine! I've tried flickering lights, turning on/off the radio, opening and closing doors, etc to see if those have anything to do with the power going to the switches - so far no luck. I don't think it's temperature related either.

So this leads me to believe it's a fuse or a relay. There are no fuses I could find related to the windows (not that a fuse would be blown and work occasionally anyway) So I looked at the relays in the fuse box, none are listed for the windows, but there is a taped up cluser of relays coming off the +end of the battery that don't have any listed functions on them.

So, can anybody tell me if I'm barking up the wrong tree, have I got the right idae, or am I just totally off base here? Neither would really surprise me! ;-) Has anyone else had a problem like this at all?

Thanks a bunch for your time and help!

Take care,
Ian M.
Old 12-05-2001, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Three things come to mind....

1) You have a broken/stretched wire in the door. Check the connection where the wires go through the door to the body. I've seen this one before with these exact symptoms and was surprised when this was the problem.

2) Relay. The control module (relay) for these are located behind the "kick panel" below the steering wheel. Remove the kick panel and you will find the auxilary relay panel. The control module for the windows and sunroof are on the same relay. It will be the only relay that occupies two positions.

3) If anything else is also acting up (climate control OR blower motor OR radio OR etc..??). Then the ignition switch is also a possibility. If ANYTHING else acts up then I would bet this is your problem. If not, then I would check out (1) first!!

HTH and Good Luck!!
Old 12-06-2001, 11:36 AM

Ignition Switch..check that first.
Old 12-07-2001, 05:58 AM

Default Great! I'll check those out then - got a question about the ignition switch now...

I don't know what the ignition switch is, or where it's located. (you can laugh, it's funny)

Once I find it, what should I inspect it for?

Thanks for the replies, squattro and IqDOU!

Ian M.
Old 12-07-2001, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's where you put the key to start the car :-)
Old 12-07-2001, 09:33 PM

Default Oh yeah... its all in the name, huh? :-) Found the prob - a loose connector in the drivers door

Thanks foe the help everyone!

Got a chance to check out what was hiding under the drivers "kickplate" though!

Take care all!

Ian M.