Question Please Help DTC cam position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question Please Help DTC cam position sensor

Ok let me explane as much as I can

After dealer replaced ICV my car had problem to start in the morning, it never started from first time, but in the afternoon I had no problem, so far so good, not big problem otherwise the car ran fine, I had CEL this time they replaced knock sensor this didn;t solve the problem with the starting but car ran fine, the other day I start the car and there was a CEL when i tried to accelerate it started to flashing, so I bring the car back to the dealer. they said the DTC was from Cam Possitioning sensor but they swaped with new one and they still getting the same code, no they said that the problem could be from bad or stuck cat.conv. could this be the reason please I Need some help they will charge 5h of diag. and seems like they can;t fix it.

P.S my car is A4 2.8 12v

Thanks

Ivan
Old 03-13-2003, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First off, your dealer is a moron...

...go find another shop.

The cam position sensor CAN'T be the problem because when this is bad it doesn't RUN!! This should be common knowledge to any Audi mechanic. You only check the cam position sensor if the car has NO spark at all.

Second, I don't think a clogged cat sounds like your problem. It could cause problems but more than likely it won't through a check engine light. Also, a clogged cat will make the car accelerate like lskolnick's car. :-)

From your description I can't offer much but I would get it looked at. You could be running lean on a cylinder. Get the code from the dealer and let us know!!
Old 03-13-2003, 09:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I will call them in hour I spoke with them a couple mins before your post, they are disconecting (m)

the cats and will try to run the car and see if the same DTC will come back.
I will post in 30mins exactly the code.

It is really strange the car ran fine, and was in the dealer for completly different problem, when I took it I was running like a diesel bus damn.(
Old 03-13-2003, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Hey QCRAZY here are the codes (edited)

17748-Crankshaft-/Camshaft Pos.Sens.Signals Out of Sequence
17799-Camshaft Pos.Sensor,Bank2 Short to Ground
17800-Camshaft Pos.Sensor,Bank2 Open Circ./Short to B
Old 03-13-2003, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Okay, that's a different one.....

The three codes interact to give you one code. What this suggests is that the cam sensor is out of phase. There's actually a diagnostic that should have been done to check the phase of the cam sensor. If the vaules are not reached the following should be done:

1) Check mounting (shutter wheel) of existing cam sensor (the dealer screwed up and just replaced it for no reason)

2) Check timing.

Since the new sensor rules out #1 then you have to check the timing. I hope your timing belt didn't jump a tooth!!

Good Luck!!
Old 03-13-2003, 05:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ok I will ask them to check the timing if they didn't do it till now (m)

I spoke to them, and they tried new cam sensor (same problem), disconnect the cats. (same problem) I will ask them to check the timing belt, what do u think about the crackshatf sensor, any connection btw both sensors, I just want my baby fixed damn, It is really strange, I got new timing belt tens. ,termostat and water pump before 25k miles. I hope they will find the problem.

Thanks
Old 03-13-2003, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Theyre tryin to screw you over...

Have them look at this..<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/9080/msgs/79202.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/9080/msgs/79202.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 03-14-2003, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The codes indicate that the....

...signal between the crank sensor and the cam sensor are not "making sense" to the ECU. Since Audi only expects them to check the cam sensor phase leads my to belive that the crank sensor can not get out of phase. Meaning the crank sensor either works or doesn't.

It has to be your timing!!
Old 03-14-2003, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

??
Old 03-14-2003, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I am calling them right now,I want to see what they did past 3days Thanks Alot

Quick Reply: Question Please Help DTC cam position sensor