RS2 headlight question

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS2 headlight question

This question is directed to all of you RS2 headlight experts out there:

I ordered a wiring harness from Blau! for the RS2 headlights (I don't plan on the HID conversion, atleast not anytime soon). I imagine this "plug & play" harness will have a level of difficulty consistent with its title description, so, I don't think I'll have any trouble with that part of installation, but, if anyone has any experience with the "plug & play" harness they would like to share, I'll certainly consider it.

My question centers around the bulb monitor control unit. Blau! offers one for this conversion however, they don't have anymore and they don't anticipate having any for awhile. I was wondering how to go about fooling the autocheck while maintaining its functionality with respect to the bulb monitor unit, if at all possible. I understand 20v.org has a write-up on this topic, but I was hoping maybe someone has a "dumbed down" explanation of this procedure or possibly an alternative method.

I searched the archives which returned a lot of helpful content on these lights, but no mention of this specific question. I apologize in advance for any ignorance on my part if this topic has in fact already been discussed . . . any advice would be helpful, thanks.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:07 AM

Default To be honest I went around by not taping into the CQ's lite system other ....

than using the lite switch as just a trigger.
Other than that my lite system is independent from the rest of the electrical system and will not register as a problem on the bulb monitor circuit. There are other ways to fool the bulb monitor system but as you said, it may be too difficult for you too understand.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default re: RS2 headlight question

Exactly!! The 20v.org write-up went right over my head as most electrical "stuff" does. So, I take it you wired directly to the battery?? If so, any similarity to the description contained in the link below??<ul><li><a href="http://20v.org/light.htm#rewire">http://20v.org/light.htm#rewire</a</li></ul>
Old 09-13-2006, 08:32 AM

Yup. But then thats a base system and can be modified for your own use.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Makes perfect sense . . . I appreciate it, thanks again.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I went with the wiring harness from 2Bennett, very easy install, autocheck bypass is even easier

It comes with very clear directions and everything you need for connection. It connects directly to the battery and uses the existing system to run the lights. You end up plugging the driver's side light socket into the harness which then controls the entire system.

Byppasssing the autocheck is very simple. The hardest part about it is getting to the resistor under the steering column, but once you figure that out, it's simple. I basically bypassed the autocheck by creating two 3" wires with male connectors on each end. Once you take out the relay from under the steering column, you'll be able to figure out where to plug the wires in. You plug the male ends of the connectors in where the relay used to be.

If you can figure out how to install the harness, you really shouldn't have a problem bypassing the autocheck.
Old 09-13-2006, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I went with the wiring harness from 2Bennett, very easy install, autocheck bypass is even easier

thanks, sounds extremely easy. I'm familiar with the relay panel under/behind the dash so I have a general idea of what you're saying.

*Off Topic - how do you like the 034 EFI injector upgrade?? I've read a write-up and some positive feedback on the forum . . . is it all that its cracked up to be??