Steering wheel not straight, what might have changed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering wheel not straight, what might have changed?

On the way to Waterfest, I was driving my CQ through NJ and whacked a man/pothole thing while turning at speed, and bent a wheel. I also noticed the steering wheel was turned a bit CCW (left). I put on different wheels to avoid driving on the bent wheel for now, and although the shake at 40+ is gone, the steering wheel is still off. It centers itself at this point, and that incorrect angle makes the car go stright (ie. I hold the wheel crooked to go straight, and it does not fight me). Might be me, but it feels like it wants to turn left very very easily, and does not feel too responsive turning the wheel to the left.

I tried giving it a bit of negative camber, wondering if the camber got knocked in a bit at the balljoint, but it did not produce any noticable results.

I have noticed there appears to be quite a bit of slop at the top of the strut (strut mount to strut tower), and the spring scraped the threading on my coilovers on the side facing out of the wheel well. Everything else looks ok to me.

Also, the car has always had some slop wiggling either front wheel at 9 and 3, but it moves the steering wheel when I do this (car jacked up).

Any advice?

Thanks!
Old 07-26-2004, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I *think* that there is something on the steering rack (or in that area)...

that allows you to center the steering wheel. But you might need a special Audi tool for it.

I could be lying though ... (meaning I vaugely remember hearing something like this once or twice).

Mike
Old 07-26-2004, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Get it on a lift/jackstands to check for play...replace damaged elements....get an alignment.

Any competant Audi/VW shop will have a setup that straightens the steering wheel, as well as all four wheels. Good luck.