Supercharger requirements

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2002, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger requirements

What would a supercharger require in terms of additional items. I realize that larger injectors are required as well as reprogramming the ECU. And a cone filter with a heatshield would be good. What else? Fuel pump? Fuel pressure regulator? Just curious
Old 03-08-2002, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Re: Supercharger requirements

depends on boost levels, and how far you want to go with it...low levels of boost won't require nearly as much stuff, and will still give good results. personally, i'd try one of those S-AFC's from A'PEXi first, since its a piggy back with a nice readout, as far as tuning. something else to consider, is that the cams on a norm aspir car as not as good of a cam as there could be (not optimized for the forced induction. same goes for a juiced car, nitrous, in serious applications, needs a different cam profile). it all depends on how far you want to go with the engine...just ask yourself, how much money are you willing to spend? a couple thousand? it won't get you much, but it will get you more than what you have now. as far as a fuel pump, it just depends on how much fuel you need (how many gallons/hour) at a certain pressure...you can gain fuel by bumping up the rail pressure to a point (then you need bigger injectors, then a 14v fuel pump, ours are 11v from the factory and can be rewired for 14v, ask miktip on that one).

like i said, how far do you want to go, and with how much money...
Old 03-08-2002, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

cuatrokoop,

I know what you mean about he Apex'i S-AFC. I used to own a 1990 Mitsu Eclipse GSX, and they had everything aftermarket for that car, the S-AFC being one. They're pretty damn slick.

I did forget about the cams, would probably do port $ polish heads also, TDL throttle body, TDL equal lenght headers, exhaust work, etc. I'm unsure of boost levels, not more than say 10-12 psi max. Meaning the internals would probably need to be redone also?
Old 03-08-2002, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

do superchargers require oil lines to be run? don't turbos need oil too, right?
Old 03-08-2002, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't think SC's require oil, I know most turbos do.
Old 03-08-2002, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It depends on the SC. Some do and some don't.
Old 03-08-2002, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

well, keep in mind that the 10vt and 20vt used anywhere from 8.5:1 to 9.3:1 (or something like that). the 12v is like 10-10.2:1 or so, so its not that big of a strech to run a slightly lower pressure with slightly higher CR...make sure your rings are good though i think its a pretty interesting idea, charging the 12v...

primo...still haven't had a chance to draw anything up yet for the IM...i'll do it this week when i'm at home, gotta do enginerd HW anyway, got crap due monday 730am, joy. also have to replace the lifters in the 5kq (TICK TICK TICK...).
Old 03-08-2002, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

cuatrokoop,

What about adding a thicker headgaskets or possibly machining a plate that would fit between the headgasket and head to lower compression. My brother-in-law has some CAD software, so we might be getting some specs and possibly developing an intake manifold for a Lysholm SC. Obviously were just getting some ideas together first. Thanks for your input.
Old 03-08-2002, 04:56 PM

Thanks!!!
Old 03-08-2002, 06:47 PM

Default Tell your brother if his milling machine is big enough, I can provide codes.

I am a rather masterful programmer! Well, good enough, I took a few independent CNC milling courses, and the IM would be a mainly XYZ codes, with some G programs to cut the circles for the mill. Obviously I'll provide him with all the materials, including the drill bits. If he has the time and a 12V Audi 90 to work on, and feels like undertaking this project, I'll pay him VERY well for a manifold that he machines.

Primo

Quick Reply: Supercharger requirements