Upgraded Brakes Coupe 1989 2.2E

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgraded Brakes Coupe 1989 2.2E

Hey guys! Have just aquired my first project car, Audi Coupe 1989 2.2E that will be a long one but due to the weather I am looking to start off with the upgraded break system as car will be running quite a lot power compared to stock. From what i have researched that i might have to do a 5 stud conversion and then it would be easier overall for wheels and the brakes itself, another idea was too have a look for any compatible subframes from audi 200 or something that runs just an easier set up. Main reason to start with breaks is i want to do the brakes and wheels first so then i can easier do the suspension set up. Im working on it with my friend who has done some work on old audis so hes mainly the brain behind the stuff we should do while we dont have a sheed tyoe of thing to put parts in when rebuilding the engine hence i we are starting with brakes. Any ideas or threads i have missed on this?
Old 12-27-2017, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Out of curiosity what do you plan on doing to the engine? I have a 93 90S 2.8 12v an just got done upgrading the brakes myself. Not sure if the 2.2 got them but. The fronts are dual piston Girling G60s. They are from the factory and work really well. In fact there are members of the Volkswagen community that pillage them as an upgrade for Jettas and the like. They are really hard to find. I replaced both of them up front an had to settle for used. If you have a set keep them. I replaced the pistons in the back and got cross drilled and slotted rotors with carbon ceramic compound pads on all four corners an the car has more stopping power than you could ever need. An they were cheap I paid $140 on ebay. An I was blown away by the quality and performance. Bleed em clean em an the stokers will work like a charm. Mind you I have done weight reduction so all the fat has been trimmed off of my car. One place to look for weight is the front and rear crash bars. They are used in the bumpers as a support and weigh 35 pounds each, yes i scaled them. Trimming them or removing them altogether is a good way to shed needless weight. At the expense of safety. As far as sub frames and underpinnings go. Pretty much everything from a B5 A4 can be made to work in a B4. It pains me to say it. When I bought my B4 I had a 1999.5 B5 A4 1.8t AEB quattro sport. It was a Florida car with no rust. An 100k miles. That was wrecked. I sold the car to the junkyard than upon browsing forums found out what im telling you now. The rear sub frame an suspension literally bolt right on. Its only a matter of cleaning the sealant out of the bolt holes on the B4. An some minor tweaks here an there. The better A4 sport coils and shocks fit. Although on the rear the wheels stick out a tiny bit more. The beefier sway bar. The 5 lug hubs. The quattro drive train. The 1.8t will go in as well. Its about as easy an straightforward an engine swap as you can do. If you do though go bigger on the turbo. I had a K04 and it wasnt enough with supporting mods on my B5. When I do my swap my B4 to a 1.8t it will be getting at least a GT30 turbo. I think 350hp will fit this chasis well. My B5 used to weigh 4000lbs. The 90 weighs just over 3000 with weight reduction(I had it on the scales at the dump). So add the weight of the quattro drive train the lighter more modern 1.8t an you have a very capable turbo engine at a fraction of the weight. The 6 speed manual from a B5 S4 will go in. As well as the 5 speed tiptronic auto. It varies by model an since your is a coupe im not sure what will and wont. There are lots of options.There are some really good posts around. That used to have pictures until photobucket held the internet hostage. Do you plan on going quattro?

Heres a teaser.
This is a stock 1.8t. Imagine a built 1.8t with the B5 quattro drivetrain. AWD skids for days.

Gets on well in the snow.

Last edited by Thewidowson; 12-27-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Thewidowson
Out of curiosity what do you plan on doing to the engine? I have a 93 90S 2.8 12v an just got done upgrading the brakes myself. Not sure if the 2.2 got them but. The fronts are dual piston Girling G60s. They are from the factory and work really well. In fact there are members of the Volkswagen community that pillage them as an upgrade for Jettas and the like. They are really hard to find. I replaced both of them up front an had to settle for used. If you have a set keep them. I replaced the pistons in the back and got cross drilled and slotted rotors with carbon ceramic compound pads on all four corners an the car has more stopping power than you could ever need. An they were cheap I paid $140 on ebay. An I was blown away by the quality and performance. Bleed em clean em an the stokers will work like a charm. Mind you I have done weight reduction so all the fat has been trimmed off of my car. One place to look for weight is the front and rear crash bars. They are used in the bumpers as a support and weigh 35 pounds each, yes i scaled them. Trimming them or removing them altogether is a good way to shed needless weight. At the expense of safety. As far as sub frames and underpinnings go. Pretty much everything from a B5 A4 can be made to work in a B4. It pains me to say it. When I bought my B4 I had a 1999.5 B5 A4 1.8t quattro sport. It was a Florida car with no rust. An 100k miles. That was wrecked. I sold the car to the junkyard than upon browsing forums found out what im telling you now. The rear sub frame an suspension literally bolt right on. Its only a matter of cleaning the sealant out of the bolt holes on the B4. An some minor tweaks here an there. The better A4 sport coils and shocks fit. Although on the rear the wheels stick out a tiny bit more. The beefier sway bar. The 5 lug hubs. The quattro drive train. The 1.8t will go in as well. Its about as easy an straightforward an engine swap as you can do. If you do though go bigger on the turbo. I had a K04 and it wasnt enough with supporting mods on my B5. When I do my swap my B4 to a 1.8t it will be getting at least a GT30. My B5 used to weigh 4000lbs. The 90 weighs just over 3000 with weight reduction(I had it on the scales at the dump). So add the weight of the quattro drive train an you have a very capable turbo engine at a fraction of the weight. The 6 speed manual from a B5 S4 will go in. As well as the 5 speed tiptronic auto. It varies by model an since your is a coupe im not sure what will and wont. There are lots of options.There are some really good posts around. That used to have pictures until photobucket held the internet hostage. Do you plan on going quattro?
Main idea for the engine is to keep the beautiful 5Cylinder engine and turbo it, obviously after a rebuild and upgraded pistons maybe rods too but thats not decided as I have seen turbo 5cylinder engine builds without upgraded rods but we will see once the engine is out and in pieces. Overall goal is going to be 400hp while keeping the car fwd and only after i have ran this set up for a while I would consider a quattro system upgrade but thats a few years on atleast.
For brakes I still need to actually get down under the car and see if anything has been done to it previously, but Since i live in the UK and for some weird reason we are getting a lot of snow and rain then I am still waiting for better weather and time to have a look at it. Thanks anyways, will see what I can do but i dont think the 2.2 wouldn't have them but could be a possible upgrade.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

https://imgur.com/0mJEDPN and https://imgur.com/bCrw5t7 heres two pictures of what they look like. My car is a ongoing work in progress. I live in the rust belt. The calipers will be blue. An im going to refinish the rims when I paint the car. They are a tad scored due to a balance issue (I had to replace the cv axles an get the tires balanced.) but pretty none the less. An if you apply the vision they will be even better when complete.
Old 12-27-2017, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

To be fair looks isn't my main concern however not killing myself would be, hah but I am going for a sleepere kind of build so shiny brakes and wheels wont be my priority
Old 12-27-2017, 11:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MonkeyTheDriver
Main idea for the engine is to keep the beautiful 5Cylinder engine and turbo it, obviously after a rebuild and upgraded pistons maybe rods too but thats not decided as I have seen turbo 5cylinder engine builds without upgraded rods but we will see once the engine is out and in pieces. Overall goal is going to be 400hp while keeping the car fwd and only after i have ran this set up for a while I would consider a quattro system upgrade but thats a few years on atleast.
For brakes I still need to actually get down under the car and see if anything has been done to it previously, but Since i live in the UK and for some weird reason we are getting a lot of snow and rain then I am still waiting for better weather and time to have a look at it. Thanks anyways, will see what I can do but i dont think the 2.2 wouldn't have them but could be a possible upgrade.
Your so lucky to have that motor. They are hard to find here in the states. I like your plan. Thats how I imagined going about it myself. Its nice to have a vision imo. Even if it is a year or two out. If you haven't already id join https://www.s2forum.com/forum/member-s-area/projects . They have a lot of good info on your car. An B4 Wiring Diagrams :: motorgeek.com is a wealth of knowledge as well. As far as shiny brakes are concerned I am restoring my car. These are rare cars an must be preserved and reconditioned. My brakes perform really well. My cars FWD an theres nothing wrong with it. Its nimble and easily readable. Itll stop fast enough to pull your eyes. The G60s leave nothing to be desired. With bigger wheels an wider tires an cross drilled and slotted rotors your car will handle 400 hp no problem.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

To each his own. I think it'll be nice to have another member going down the path. Have any pictures? How long have you owned it? Heres were im at a year down the road. https://imgur.com/gallery/sw9FK .
Old 12-27-2017, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Thewidowson
To each his own. I think it'll be nice to have another member going down the path. Have any pictures? How long have you owned it? Heres were im at a year down the road. https://imgur.com/gallery/sw9FK .
https://imgur.com/a/Hm7Jf Thats the day I received it, dropped off by a recovery truck as its not got any MOT ( annual inspection ) Pretty sure its been standing for something like 5 years but it turns on with a new battery and does run with a slight blow in the exhaust and not a healthy engine sound but it works and would be rebuilt anyway.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thats a pretty car. No dents or dings.I really like the big rims. I agree that it needs tires though. Itll clean up so nice. Heres mine the day of https://imgur.com/a/9z88F .